Brake Cable Full length

GoldenMotor.com

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Right now my bikes brake cable housing splits and then is connected to the frame. A length of cable runs the length of the top tube for a while and then is reattached back to the frame and continues back to the housing back to the brake itself. Wondering if I can eliminate the break in the cable housing and run a full length cable housing from break lever to canteliver brakes? Will this work? Thanks

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Sure - it's a mixed blessing scenario tho... the length w/o a housing is done to reduce cable pull drag & it's quite effective, the catch being the extra openings allow more dust & water in... but it does make it easier to lube and reduces that cable drag...

Your call lol ;)

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Right now my bikes brake cable housing splits and then is connected to the frame. A length of cable runs the length of the top tube
Yes, it helps to use a sheathed cable under the gas tank so you can get the tank clamps on under the cable so it doesn't bind.

You don't even need to buy a whole brake cable if your cable is good, just buy the sheath length you need and a couple of sheath end caps and thread your existing pull cable through.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
another reason companies do this is for weight. it started on high end racing bikes where every ounce counts.

i use Jagwire cables. they have kevlar strands in the housing instead of coiled metal and that eliminates compression of the housing giving you a stronger pull with less effort. basically it just makes your brakes work better.