I bid farewell to another one of my rides.

GoldenMotor.com

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
Sold my Morini boxer the other day to a gentleman from San Francisco.
It sold alot faster than I though, but money was tight and parts were expensive so I had to let it go.

I had my fun with, pulled me around when my Crohns disease acted up and I couldn't ride regular bikes.

Still remember the first ride I took and how it scared the wits out of me when it hit that power band.

Bike was always reliable, never had any issues with with and it was always a blast to ride.
http://motorbicycling.com/album.php?albumid=1073&pictureid=5658

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Parts fo these are expensive and they consume them on a regular basis. By the way, what's your definition of "reliable".

I wanna know if all of these Morini / KTM things are temperamental unreliable bastards, particularly with head sealing and ignition stators shshing out.

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
I've never had any engine problems with this motor, and nothing like the ones u are describing.

The biggest thing I've had was issues with that dumb stone clutch and a leaky clutch seal.

Non engine wise, I had to rebuild the rear wheel with thicker spokes

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
My 50 has just been a slew of stupid little problems, for mine the clutch hasn't been an issue at all, but the stator, head gasket, and carb inconsistency have been issues. For mine it keeps running better and better, unless it isn't running at all lol. I want to do some stuff for thermal management if I keep mine, which I think I will, only a couple chicks looking for scooters contacted me for the sale of my bike lol. They would come back asking for their money back when some stupid crap happened next. I'm being honest about it so as to not sugarcoat the reality of what is like running one of these in mountain hill terrain.

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Glad I invested in Italian. AT 15000 miles run at red line with joy it is still proved to be indestructible. Runs Harder than day one. This motor blows my mind!

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Are there any parts you have replaced? The morini ignition looks nicer and I thought about if it might bolt up to the newer 2003+ KTM50 enginest to solve the hot stator problem. I like the flywheel with rotor and the integrated coil/magneto on the S5?

Mine keeps on running better than ever unless the head isn't sealing, or the stator isn't frizzled since it has the coils inside the cover, or the clone carb isn't acting up, which has been rare, its ok. The bottom end and clutch are all okay so far.

I guess I could buy a Morini to stick in, but with the parts availability reduced because of the company going under, along with the high cost of everything for the Franco, I went with KTM since you can get clone or genuine parts depending on what needs it.

I'd like to hear a realistic list of parts you have replaced or services performed on your Franco Morini versus just sugarcoating it and saying it was trouble free, because I know that's not the case. It's you guys saying these type of engines are so awesome that got me into trying one out, well lets hear the truth of how much parts you have gone through.

Last edited:

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Yeah, the inboard KTM ignition I guess was to put less on the crank, but it exposes the electronics to heat. It would be nice to use something different. I'm hoping that a genuine head from KTM will make the head seal like it should, it has better fins.

Mine's completely stock, gonna try a copper head gasket and 12.9 bolts to keep it from blowing. It ran faster than ever last time before the latest pffft. If the bottom end is as strong as the old Francos then maybe its still worthwhile. I guess I could get a Franco Morini S6 but everything costs two to three times as much and there's no aftermarket.