my bike poll

GoldenMotor.com

daily transportation power poll

• Total voters

moonshiner

Apr 23, 2011
tennessee
here is one of my bikes a Schwinn avenue hybrid , this is going to be transportation , will a gas motor even fit between the frame rails ?

how should i power it ? i am adding a poll if i can figure out how ? .

dnut

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
Dude nice bike! Is that a 26"? I believe you could get away with an in frame set-up, yes.
I would go with a slant head just to be sure. I have built two 24" Mtn. bike builds, and I had to use a short spark plug on my first one. Due to clearance issues with the Top bar. I have had no such problems with the slant head though.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Your frame looks much like my Mongoose Paver. A HT motor will most likely fit but there's no room for the carb. I'm using a modified CNS carb adapter from Pirate Cycles and some plastic vinyl tubing. The vinyl tubing is not fuel proof but I keep an eye on it , it actually seems to be holding up but if it don't I have another 4 feet of it :) The stock mounts should work without much modification. I think you'll need to have a slant plug head, too, but most of the kits come with those now. A lot of times the plug is mounted to the intake side and you'll need to turn it around necessitating a torque wrench, something you'll have to have anyway. A 3/8ths inch beam bar type is sufficient and fairly cheap.

Keep us updated and posting photos cvlt1

moonshiner

Apr 23, 2011
tennessee
Dude nice bike! Is that a 26"? I believe you could get away with an in frame set-up, yes.
I would go with a slant head just to be sure. I have built two 24" Mtn. bike builds, and I had to use a short spark plug on my first one. Due to clearance issues with the Top bar. I have had no such problems with the slant head though.
thanks .. it is a 700 C size , i also have a Schwinn varsity 15 speed touring bike and it is a 700 C too that i have a set of racing rims and a set of michelin race tires on it that hold about 120 psi , the varsity has a Schwinn speedo on it and i have had it over 60 mph on the highway on a down hill grade on just pedal power , the whole time i was thinking what a mess i would be in if one of the tires blew at that speed.bf., i use to could average about 30 mph on the takara 12 speed racer i had , but i am not 20 anymore , i rode the avenue about 6 or 7 miles today and danged almighty the hills hurt more than i remember, i am way out of shape , i am looking to extend the range a bit on the avenue with a little help from a motor , i might be able to get away with using a 25 to 35 cc motor , cause i am looking to pedal to get back in shape to ride my varsity tour bike .

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
Well I thought that frame looked big. I have built four different bikes w/ motors on them. unfortunately I only have pics of two, My first build, and my current build. You can see both in my album just click on my name and look on the right side. Both are 24" bikes with 66cc. engines. I have never had a problem with mounting an in frame motor. No need for special mounting, or offsetting carb. etc. many need to do this but I never have. Well these are great little engines and this is an awesome hobby with plenty of info here in this forum. As I have said to many....Welcome to our world, Enjoy the ride......But be careful 'cause dude your gonna get addicted.

moonshiner

Apr 23, 2011
tennessee
LOL , Dag i have been addicted to two wheels since i can remember , i think i have quite possibly logged more miles on two than four .

it looks like the way the poll is going that its favorably 2 stroke , i have one one problem with a in frame motor that i see on my Schwinn avenue , the cables are exposed where the gas tank mounts , now i could just make up some new cables or use a rear friction drive setup , still pondering the choice ...

here's pics of my other Schwinn ..i might go electric on this one .

i will probably just buy a rear mount kit without the motor for the avenue , cause i already have a 2.0 horsepower 35 cc tecumseh 2 stroke tiller motor that runs great..cs.

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
Here is a trick I learned for mounting the fuel tanks and not pinching the cables.

The tanks that come with the kits use metal mounting straps that essentially pinch/clamp the upper frame tube/bar from under the tank. however I drill a small hole in either the center of the mounting strap or one on either side and use self tapping screws to attach them under the cables and to the frame. that gives about 1/4 inch space between the mounting straps and the bottom of the tank. See the illustration below..(sorry I only know how to use paint but not very well.) If you have any questions about this just ask me.

Attachments

moonshiner

Apr 23, 2011
tennessee
Here is a trick I learned for mounting the fuel tanks and not pinching the cables.

The tanks that come with the kits use metal mounting straps that essentially pinch/clamp the upper frame tube/bar from under the tank. however I drill a small hole in either the center of the mounting strap or one on either side and use self tapping screws to attach them under the cables and to the frame. that gives about 1/4 inch space between the mounting straps and the bottom of the tank. See the illustration below..(sorry I only know how to use paint but not very well.) If you have any questions about this just ask me.
Dag thanks for the neat tip ... i also have one more problem the wheels i have are 28 spoke , how will a 9 hole sproket line up with those ?

keith

Last edited:

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Dag thanks for the neat tip ... i also have one more problem the wheels i have are 28 spoke , how will a 9 hole sproket line up with those ?

keith
I have a 28 spoke wheel, and it was a buster to get lined up and centered, I had to fight, twist, turn, fake and cheat the sprocket onto the wheel, but it is possible.
If you can get a wheel with 36 spokes, it will be a whole lot easier.

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
Your frame looks much like my Mongoose Paver. A HT motor will most likely fit but there's no room for the carb. I'm using a modified CNS carb adapter from Pirate Cycles and some plastic vinyl tubing. The vinyl tubing is not fuel proof but I keep an eye on it , it actually seems to be holding up but if it don't I have another 4 feet of it :) The stock mounts should work without much modification. I think you'll need to have a slant plug head, too, but most of the kits come with those now. A lot of times the plug is mounted to the intake side and you'll need to turn it around necessitating a torque wrench, something you'll have to have anyway. A 3/8ths inch beam bar type is sufficient and fairly cheap.

Keep us updated and posting photos cvlt1
I would be careful using that non fuel proof tubing....If it was to get a airleak from the gas it could burn up your engine from running to lean....
John

moonshiner

Apr 23, 2011
tennessee
i put 42 miles on my bike today after the install i had a very enjoyable ride , i can say that i could not be happier with it , it brought me back to the distance i could do on a bike 15 years ago and the hills are a whole lot less dreadful than they use to be ..hot dog i am hooked ..

Keith cvlt1