Front brakes on a Micargi Pantera GTS?

GoldenMotor.com

Sparks66

Nov 4, 2009
San Jose, Ca
I have the Micargi General and I bought a front caliper brake for it. Near the top of the fork, there is a hole where the caliper axle can go. I purchased the brake from Spooky Tooth for about 20 bucks. The brake comes with two axles and you will need to use the fits. It's real easy. I find that the brake pads wear out fast probably due to the fact that I am stopping from a speed around 30 mph.

chrisE

Mar 1, 2010
san pedro,ca. U.S.A.
on my next build i was thinking of using a springer front end and using caliper brakes, but my question is will the movement of the forks affect the geometry of the brake system? if the brakes are mounted at the traditional site for caliper brakes (bottom of the fork stem) the brake is stationary but the tire moves with the fork will it diminish brake power? or have problems in the long run?

Patr1ck

Apr 15, 2010
Tempe, AZ
It's actually not had to install most any kind of brake on it!
A caliper brake is probably the easiest, then a drum & last a disc.
My concern is with the movement of the suspension since the mounting hole for caliper brakes is on the fixed portion of the fork. Would the brake pads either rub the tire or miss the rim if I hit a bump when breaking due to the suspension movement?

Thanks

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Glad you are getting a front brake. Adding a front brake more than doubles your braking power and may save your life if the rear brake fails.

pre-war Schwinn

Nov 15, 2009
Los Angeles 90039
I never rode my first build I just stared at it till now I decided to go out and get some good parts one piece at a time I got a Micargi new with a new motor and it had new calipers front and rear it looked so wierd. the feders were sliced to fit them and he set up a dual pull action. today iIbought a worksman single since I already bought a worksmant tandem with a 3 speed and drum front It loos like the calipers are a slippery slope. Not worth the effort . especially if you don't have dentures yet He ahe here is the way the micargi looked I stripped it and plan on just selling the carcuss also the wheel bearings fried the first ten miles on those sad wheels
The tandem weights 125 lbs the sing industrial about 30 so the drum rear and teh drum fronts can stop it easily
Note weight on the wheels is a big problem on Asian things
I think my ape hangers are twice as high

Attachments