No spark

GoldenMotor.com

Greengo

Jul 21, 2012
Dickson, Tennessee
Hello all, im new here to the forum and new to motor bicycling. I got my kit a couple of days before the 4th of July and just 2 nights ago I finally got it right. Yes, I know it took me a while. But, i figured this being my only form of transportation, I had better take my time and do it right. So, anyways, its an SD Stinger 66/80cc 2 stroker. Basic motor, nothin fancy, yet lol.

The other day I was coming up my gravel drive way and my chain came off, engine quit. I fixed the chain problem, no worries there. But now I cant get it to start at all. I checked for spark at about 11 at night and didnt see any. Ive even braved it and touched the plug with my bare hand while pushing the bike. Still, nothing. Not even the slightest tingle. I have re-wired it, checked the gap on my magneto with a business card, checked to make sure I havent jumped time and disconnected the kill switch. Im at a loss. So, I broke down and ordered a new cdi and magneto. I did notice that on the magneto, the bare wire was disconnected, so, me not having a soldering gun, i used j.b. weld. I dont know if that would fix the problem, but after having exhausted everything else I figured it wouldnt hurt. Didnt help.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Greengo.:-||

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
The bare wire hanging loose would be my first suspect too.
While I have no picture to look at of your magneto, I suspect that it is the ground wire for the windings of the magneto coil. It should have been soldered onto the magneto frame.

JB weld is no substitute for solder. It does not conduct electricity.

Good luck with your repairs, and please let us know the outcome. :)

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
.....the bare wire was disconnected, so, me not having a soldering gun, i used j.b. weld.
Contrary to popular belief JB Weld can't fix EVERYTHING! LOL This is one situation where JB Weld would be the wrong remedy...

Your magneto is just a coil of two wires, the wires themselves have a clear coating to keep them isolated as they wrap on top of each other. One end of those wires solder to the magneto core and the other comes out of the coil and that's where your ignition gets its power (and white wire power). If those wires come loose, short internally, break, or have bad solder joints your ignition will be dead or funky.
It's probably a good idea to take a look at this page, it explains the magneto and other things pretty well. It's good knowledge to have, specially when you are in this situation...

http://www.grubeeinc.com/USA/Magneto Mystery.html

If you want to fix your existing magneto you're gonna have to get a solder iron and solder. A cheap multimeter would also be extremely helpful to check the magneto and make sure the resistance is in the range listed on the above page (to diagnose cold solder joints and broken/shorted internal coil wires) It's a good idea to have that stuff around anyways IHMO.

Last edited:

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
BTW, if you install a brand new magneto make sure you sand the varnish off the side that mates with the case as detailed on the "magneto mystery" page I linked above. If you don't the magneto might not get a good ground to the case and could cause you some trouble...

chopperlife

Jul 7, 2012
brisbane, australia
you can just reconnect the ground wire by bolting the wire under one of the magneto mounting bolts. should hold up fine. also try adjusting your clutch. sometimes its the smal things that will bring you down.

Greengo

Jul 21, 2012
Dickson, Tennessee
Thanks everybody for the suggestions and help. My new magneto and cdi should be here any minute. Ive been tracking them on UPS's website. Im gonna try the mag first and see if that was the problem. Which im thinking it is. Im gonna have to do some researching on adjusting the clutch. I dont wanna mess anything up. Like I said, this is my daily driver lol. Again, thanks for all the help.

Greengo

Jul 21, 2012
Dickson, Tennessee
Hey everybody. I installed the new magneto and she fired right up. I sanded all the varnish off the side of like recommended. I appreciate everyones suggestions and help. Now the only question I have is, what would be a good spark plug for this motor? Thanks again for all the help!!! Im gonna go ride some. I will take some pictures soon and post them of my bike.