Best way to widen rear wheel spacing

GoldenMotor.com

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
chainmaker, if you have a scissor jack, you have the best tool I know of for spreading the frame. I found that out when I had to install the heavy duty hub on my stretch. After throwing and cursing, trying most of the tools in my arsenal, I got the jack out of my car and tried it. Worked like a dream. Hope this helps.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You can use a length of 3/8" or 5/16" all-thread (threaded rod) as a jacking screw. Cut it a few inches longer than you want to spread the frame. Put it in the drop outs with nuts on the inside and screw the nuts out until you get the width you need. You'll need to go a little wider to allow for spring back when you loosen the nuts. Oh, and use flat washers behind the nuts to protect the frame.
Tom

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I don't neccesarily recommend this method but if the proper tools aren't available, this is what
I've done....use man power! Just sit on the ground, say on the left side of your bike and put both feet
against the inside rear triangle (the seat stay, chain stay junction) of the right hand side of the bike, then grab with both hands the left hand side seat stay near the junction and pull with your arms while pushing with your legs. It's a great workout and it gets the job done, just do it carefully and take measurements as you go. I've done this with 2 of my builds and the results were a job well done!

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Well..The wheels are due to arrive Thursday. I sent an e-mail to find out what spacing they are for 135mm my spacing is currently 110 mm . I think I will go with the scissor jack method as it seems it would apply more of an even pressure. has anyone done a 25 mm spread?? It seems like alot ? If the frame ends up tweaking too much or worst ....cracking Ill have to get a new one.
Cheers
Chainmaker

Last edited:

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
That does sound like a lot. I only had to move mine about 10mm. You may end up having to cut and weld a little. Post some pics for us, if you don't mind, so we can see what you are going through.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Yeah...I flipped her over and took off the wheel and fender measured again... I got to stretch it 25 mm I would really not try the welding. I have the welder but not the skills. I don't know how good the welds would be especially vibrating and cruising down the road at a nice clip. So I just gotta stretch em a little. I am going to try to get it done tonight after dinner. The only car jack I have is for My jeep and I don't think that would fit. I'm going to borrow the Mom in laws. I will post some pictures of the process.
Cheers
Chainmaker

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Well it worked... I used the scissor jack no problem. Sorry about the second picture it was getting dark. But You can see by the black marks on the ruler the 25 mm difference. The dropouts are only off by 1 mm

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Cheers
Chainmaker