Removing pedals off motorised bike and adding pull start

GoldenMotor.com
Mar 5, 2014
Eastwood
So I was thinking of removing the crank and pedals off my motorised bike and then removing the gears off the wheel and then adding a pull start to the bike so I would not have to pedal to start it.

But as you probably know you can't launch from a standing stop with a stock engine, you would need to roll down a hill or get pushed to start moving.

What can I do to the engine to allow me to go from a complete stop to full speed without moving my feet? Is this possible?

Also is it possible to add BMX pegs in place of the crank and pedals, otherwise my feet will rub on the ground when I going around corners.

Thank you in advance!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Ya actually can get them moving with out any thing more then feathering the clutch like a motorcycle. Give it a try.

One thing though is be sure to check with local DMV to be sure you don't need the pedals to stay legal. Here in CT, pedals are not required but are in many places.

Mar 5, 2014
Eastwood
Ya actually can get them moving with out any thing more then feathering the clutch like a motorcycle. Give it a try.

One thing though is be sure to check with local DMV to be sure you don't need the pedals to stay legal. Here in CT, pedals are not required but are in many places.
Thanks for the info! I don't need to check with the local police department because I ride my bike on a property. Because here in Australia the police have the dumb rule of anything outputting more than 200w like a bike, scooter that cant be registered, is illegal.

What can I use to rest my feet on like BMX pegs in the place of the pedals.

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
Thanks for the info! I don't need to check with the local police department because I ride my bike on a property. Because here in Australia the police have the dumb rule of anything outputting more than 200w like a bike, scooter that cant be registered, is illegal.

What can I use to rest my feet on like BMX pegs in the place of the pedals.
Lachie being from Au aswell I can tell you the minute you take the peddles off you will get done by the police ,remembering that you still need to register a dirt bike for rec and if you get caught riding anywhere else you will get stung ,here in melbourne I've had no issue with reg and actually have the paperwork from vic roads stating they will not register the bike ,any time I've been pulled over they look at the bike ,ask the cc's and speed and let me go without charge

Besides that if you run out of fuel or have issues with the engine it's a long push home without peddles JMHO

REGARDS HEN

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
These China Girls are a little notorious for giving the user a bit of exercise on the way home.
The pull starts can be a bit variable in quality also,
My advice would be find a wider/shorter crank set if you want to run a pull start.
Sorry, but I see you pushing the bike home when it stops if you don't have any pedals.
With a 44t sprocket and a well tuned motor, clutch starts shouldn't be much of a problem on flat ground.
A rear axle through the crankset boss with a pair of stunt pegs would likely give an adequate pair of foot pegs,.

Mar 5, 2014
Eastwood
I really don't mind pushing it home if something goes wrong its not that heavy and I live in a flat-ish area. Regarding the quality of the pull start what can you recommend.

Also I have noticed that a nut screws on a thread to hold the cranks in place, could I put BMX pegs on those?

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
It's not the same thread, crank will be a course thread pegs will be a fine thread.
I suppose he could always buy some thick ally pegs and re tap the threads ,not to confident on the strength of them though ,maybe he could alter an axel to pass through the crank case so pegs could be fitted but even then the strength of the axel could be an issue ,they,re quite brittle and one would be on a collision course or catapult if the axel was to snap mid ride ,Christ I see a broken ankle in that theory

Honestly Lachie ,you'll be much better off with peddles fitted mate JMHO

REGARDS Hen

Mar 5, 2014
Eastwood
I have decided that I will be adding extended cranks, does that mean I will need to buy new pedals and what is the average price of extended cranks.

Lastly can someone recommend a good quality pull start kit for a motorised bicycle?

Thank you in advance

motorized kodiak

Aug 3, 2013
australia
with my bike i can easily start with out pedaling, all you do is let out the clutch half way, of course this will be bad for the pads but it doesnt damage them that much at all, my bike gets going up a hill with out pedaling.

Mar 5, 2014
Eastwood
That's actually quite interesting, I never would of though of that. I will have to try it the next time I can ride my bike as it is in storage at one of my friends houses.

What do you think about adding pegs to the front wheel of a mountain bike instead of pedal, would it work and is it possible.

Mar 5, 2014
Eastwood
I was thinking of screw on pegs, which would screw onto the axle that is in the crank housing. But I guess I could use motorbike pegs like you did. Are yours just welded on the frame?

P_Wheeler

Sep 16, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Hi guys, this is my first post on this forum so dont expect much!
Im a kid from Sydney Australia and to add to the note of the 200w limit, ALL internal combustion engines have been banned from bikes in NSW, after 3 deaths last year apparently. QLD has had them banned a while ago, not sure when exactly. I too have been thinking of making my bike into more of a motorbike, as its not much good as anything else now. Wouldnt it be better to leave the pedals on? Its not that much of a big deal to pedal a bit to get over small hills faster. I also want to get a pullstart.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I was thinking of screw on pegs, which would screw onto the axle that is in the crank housing. But I guess I could use motorbike pegs like you did. Are yours just welded on the frame?
I have them with the bolt then come with attached through a bracket welded to the frame. They are the kind the flip up if hit the ground. If that happens better have your foot out the way. Anyway if you don't have the bike swing around by hitting and grabbing the peg, I guess that is a plus.

MT

Mar 5, 2014
Eastwood
Hi guys, this is my first post on this forum so dont expect much!
Im a kid from Sydney Australia and to add to the note of the 200w limit, ALL internal combustion engines have been banned from bikes in NSW, after 3 deaths last year apparently. QLD has had them banned a while ago, not sure when exactly. I too have been thinking of making my bike into more of a motorbike, as its not much good as anything else now. Wouldnt it be better to leave the pedals on? Its not that much of a big deal to pedal a bit to get over small hills faster. I also want to get a pullstart.
I don't mind if the bike is illegal on the road, because I ride it in the bush on a private road and on a property, so the law doesn't count for me! LOL. But thanks for the advice anyway, I actually didn't know that they were completely illegal.

Also the reason why I want to leave the pedals on is because, I am having trouble with my gearing on my bike and I can't be stuffed to fix the gears, so I just want to remove the bicycle chain, pedals and cranks and forget about the gears. Also on the plus side, it removes weight from the bike.

If wanted to get a pull start, I would try something like this first

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Alloy-Pu..._Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c85e31e13&_uhb=1

If have yet to try out a pull start on my bike

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2014
Eastwood
I have them with the bolt then come with attached through a bracket welded to the frame. They are the kind the flip up if hit the ground. If that happens better have your foot out the way. Anyway if you don't have the bike swing around by hitting and grabbing the peg, I guess that is a plus.

MT
Where could I get cheap pegs like that, I have a old motorbike in my shed that I could use but I am thinking of restoring and I might need them later.