new to motor bikes

GoldenMotor.com

cantera

Jan 25, 2012
concord, CA
Basically I decided I'd try this after seeing it on a YouTube video...before my internet stopped working.
Through work I got a free 5.5 engine and a 5speed beach cruiser.
I'm going to do my best to put the engine on the bike, but I want to keep the stock gears and pedals able to freespin like In the SBP kits
Has this been done before? It's hard to research from my phone

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Welcome to the club, man!

Don't give up on your engine yet. Do more research here, to see if your vertical engine can be used horizontally.

What brand is your engine?

cantera

Jan 25, 2012
concord, CA
It's a craftsman 5.5 from a pressure washer, my dad is very mechanically inclined and said something about oil needing to drain downward because its a bottom output, so it can't be mounted on its side.
But I haven't given up, although I have been looking at other engines.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I have not seen this done but is on my list to try so a vertical shaft engine could work. An out board motor, snow thrower or tiller worm-gear. Would take some modding skills. All the above take some pretty mean torque. The shaft would come down and 90 degree to the left or right giving you a horizontal drive shaft.

What got me on this was replacement, vertical shaft lawnmower engines are cheap brand new and lawnmowers (push) are a dime a dozen at yard sales and some free by the side of the road. Would make awesome rack-mounts with the low profile.

There is a bunch of information on vertical shafts and some great work done. There is always a way. http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partne...om/#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=vertical shaft&gsc.page=1

The set-backs and "aw-sheets" are just part of the fun. Really will make what ever you build that much more enjoyable to you.

.flg.