chain messed up

GoldenMotor.com

crabdance

May 16, 2008
Well, I might not be able to fix a carburetor but I fixed my chain tonight. After working on my carburetor I took it out to see how it would run and when I let out on the clutch the back wheel locked up on me. It would not go forward or backward with the clutch in. So I held the back tire up by the seat and walked it home on the front wheel. I finally got brave enough to take the three screws off of the clutch plate and saw that the chain had doubled up in one spot. So I used a screwdriver to help it get a little more room then I used my hand and turned the tire until the kink came out. I was scared I would hurt it but I don't think I did. I think I might need to take a link (or 2) out.

Well for someone who's not mechanical this has been an exciting night. Now if I could only fix my carburetor... sigh

thanks for listening to me be happy about fixing my bike!

VaporKing

May 15, 2008
Great Job Crabdance!

That happened to me once with my 10-Speed. The chain lashed itsef into a crevice between the frame and the hub. It would not come loose until I forced the wheel backwards, gouging the chain free (but not until after I messed my hands with chain grease before work). Glad I had a scrubbrush in my locker.

Chain problems are one of the many issues that moped geeks like us need to handle. 150 miles to a gallon makes it worth the hassle, at least in my book.

I'm workin on my carb, too.

Good Luck With Yours!

(c)

crabdance

May 16, 2008
Thanks VaporKing.. I just had to tell someone because I'm not much of a mechanic and I was so proud that I actually fixed something. You say that you are working on your carburetor... what's wrong with it?

cdoug50

Jun 25, 2008
Maine
Same thing happened to me and I found that I had put the master link "c" clip on backwards. Make sure that the open end of the "c" clip ,that holds the master link in place, is facing the rear wheel as the link moves over the front drive sprocket.