Switching Teams... And not like that..

GoldenMotor.com

europorsche914

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster, PA / Newark, DE
Get your mind out of the gutter, lol. Well I have been tossing around an idea in my head. Currently I can go over fifty on my current bike but I am beginning to question the safety of my bike. That speed on a frame, wheelset, and tires that are intended for a bicycle kind of make me worried. Mopeds have wider tires, beefier frames and full suspension. A stock moped will only do 30 or so but I can already to that on my bike. I would like to use a 2 wheeled cycle at 45 mph to commute an hour to work. I have been thinking of throwing a M65-C 65cc 17hp 6-speed engine on a sachs g3 moped. It will be safer, more comfortable and I wont look so bad wearing a helmet (currently dont where one). I will not have to register it or worry about police hassling me. The moped with that engine should do over 100mph and will be able to cruise at low rpm because of the transmission. So my bicycle may be on the market soon, anyone interested send me a PM, currently im seeing if I can get it registered as a moped for the next owner. If anyone has any opinions on this please respond. -Justin

Morini Franco USA

Last edited:

europorsche914

Jun 18, 2008
heres some math i did to try and maximize my mpg at the clutch engagement point of 5000rpm in top gear at ~40mph. look at the top speed in 6th gear at 15000rpm.. 120mph kinda crazy dont know if id ever go that fast but i might try it atleast once :) -Justin

Attachments

DOC BOLM

Aug 21, 2008
Mississippi
WHY do you want to go 100 on a moped.I own 6 mopeds,honda,kenetic,sachs.I dont want to go over 30 on them.They are very squirrelly at 35mph.But good luck with your build.H.D.

europorsche914

Jun 18, 2008
WHY do you want to go 100 on a moped.I own 6 mopeds,honda,kenetic,sachs.I dont want to go over 30 on them.They are very squirrelly at 35mph.But good luck with your build.H.D.
Thats what I want I want to here both sides. Over on mopedarmy they didnt seem like I was doin anything out of the ordinary and were more upset I was goin 50 on a bicycle than the idea of 17hp 6 speed moped. Moped Army - 17hp 6 speed Moped I have never ridden a moped but the big frame, wide tires and full suspension are inviting. All comments welcome :) -Justin

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
Perhaps you should just consider a motorcycle. If you want to build one yourself there all sorts of avenues you can pursue there. We get by riding on the fringe of the law by being so slow and low powered. You sound like you need to get into the "licenced, registered and insured" range.
Good luck!

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I get some of the Idea here. It is plain fun to build something. The Sachs bike looks like a good size bike for you my judging the stature of your Morini build.

However for vibrations of a motor concerned over all comfort. Most any bike like that is gonna be more comfortable than a bicycle. The bigger tires sus better wheels. All major improvements. Don't know about real fast speeds on those. Just not familiar with Mopeds all that much. I vote real motorcycle.

Some of these mopeds with quality motor mounted {rubber mounts} are very smooth. Some motors even smoother. Just not that familiar with them.