I just built my first bike in St. Louis!

GoldenMotor.com

chrismmsgb

Sep 13, 2009
St. Louis
So like the title states, I just finished building my first bike in St. Louis... Not that I have ever built one anywhere else either! I bought a JET SILVER 80CC motor kit from eBay for 110.00, and just got started! The instructions were frustrating as ever, but I think I managed pretty well....

I finished assembly at about 1pm, and gave up getting it started at about 7:30pm... If there is anyone who can let me know exactly how to get it started PLEASE help!!!!

I would not be ashamed to say that step-by-step instructions would be much appreciated. I am not an idiot by any means about engines or cars... or even motorcycles, but I have never even seen a motorized bicycle until I got mine together, if you can believe that!!!

Anyhow, any help would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-chris:-||

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum. It took me a few hours to fire mine up. Keep trying. Jiggle wiring. Make sure you use the choke. I still have to use the choke on cold starts in the hot Phoenix summer. It's very exciting to hear the first startup.

saetta

Jul 29, 2008
Central Missouri
Hello from Columbia Mo. On my second build I did not have a good ground contact on my kill switch. This prevented mine from starting. Check this among other things. I confirmed mine by disconnecting the kill switch connectors and then attempting to start, and it did.

chrismmsgb

Sep 13, 2009
St. Louis
Thanks so much for replying. I will try the above suggestions, and with any luck I will figure it out before my head spins! Thanks again! -chris

chrismmsgb

Sep 13, 2009
St. Louis
so i just tried the original spark plug (I had bought a new one cause I heard the original one is crap), I cut the black and yellow wires from the kill switch, primed the engine by holding down the primer button for 2-3 seconds, opened the fuel valve, pulled the clutch handle in, pedaled downhill, released the clutch handle, and got the same thing as yesterday... Just puah...puah...puah...puah...etc. I continued to pedal till I had to stop cause of the end of the road... and NOTHING!
I then went down a small decline for about .2 miles while pedaling with the clutch handle out hearing the puah...puah... and still nothing.
After being exhausted by this (also I have the flu so I am not really in a fit state to do this right now, but whatever), I stopped and felt the muffler... it was still cold. I then felt the engine block and it was warmer... not hot by any means, but warmer...
WHAT CAN I DO TO GET THIS DANG THING STARTED?!?!?!?!?!?!
Please advise me... Thanks in advance. -chris

tdaddydolla

Aug 30, 2009
65804, U S
hi chris i am new to this bike building also, and i am also well experienced on automotive repair. maybe we could walk talk through this by phone? if so, lets connect by yahoo IM first then go to phone. my yahoo address is alexanderingram07. i should be reachable till 8ish missouri time.

chrismmsgb

Sep 13, 2009
St. Louis
I appriciate everyone who helped me get it running... That's right, IT'S ALIVE!!!!! I had to cold start primer it to get it warmed up, then adjust the primer to the down position, and away I went! I know the break in period is not to exceed 20mph or 30 minutes of use, but man was it hard to get off that thing once it got going! (that's what she said...)
Anywho, thanks again to everyone who helped. This forum rocks!!!!

brnot