Anybody try the Rocket CDI?

GoldenMotor.com

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I'm still curious about the Rocket CDI and how it compares up to the Lightning unit. The Rocket unit looks cheap due to the pill bottle for a case, but it's what's inside the case that really counts.
As for the Lightning unit, it's already tested and true (so far this is the superior aftermarket unit when comparing to the Jag but hadn't been tested against the Rocket) but I already have a CR80 coil so I just need the CDI unit by it's self.

The Rocket unit does have one thing going for it that it has easy access to the components making repairs (or duplicates for further experimentation) easy.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
Dave I have received my rocket CDI which I then traced the circuit, and inspected, I posted a comment on a similar thread, but basically it is the same circuit that was posted in the earlier Build your own CDI threads, But does have some slightly different component values for the timing resistors and capacitors, I have ordered a 4 position DIP switch and have more .47uF capacitors and a 10 turn 1K ohm trim pot that I plan to add to the circuit to make it fully adjustable, I don't have a high performance engine in a bike and going at the moment, and have not bothered testing it as yet, so can not make any coments on its performance.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Ok, I think I remember that thread now... That's what got me curious because it looked like the seller read the "build your own cdi" thread in here then made some to sell.
Yeah, adding some dip switches and different timing caps and resistors would make for a good way to customize the advance curve to suit the bike's needs. Adding in a 10 turn precision pot will definitely give you more control to custom tailor the timing curve to match the engine. I'm wondering if we could add a knock sensor to a CSI and convert the milivolt signal to change a resistance or capacitance to keep the curve just below detonation the same way it works in a car ecu? Of course the engine would have to run smooth with very little vibration that could fake out the knock sensor signal causing it to retard the timing unnecessarily.