Huffberry disappointing

GoldenMotor.com

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
I have a Huffy Cranbrook with a SD Stinger motor in it. I stopped work on this bike to build the Black OX and just did finish up the Huffberry the other day. BTW this is the third 2 stroke build I have done and probably the last one. This bike and motor have about 10 miles on them. I really do not feel good about the way it runs and sounds. It is very loud and it sounds like the noise is coming from the clutch, the power seems down and it feels like it bogs on take off, it is hard to start and seems to want half choke to start up and won't start with full choke at all. I want to sell this bike and enjoy the OX but the way it runs I am concerned about selling it. The bike is uncomfortable for me but that has nothing to do with how it runs or sounds. More BTW once in a while the sound goes away and it sounds normal.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
A lot of mechanical noise from these motors seems normal, but every motor seems to vary. The noise level isn't always an indicator of dependability though. One of my nosiest motors was also one of my most dependable. Another noisy one didn't last 600 miles. My last 2 Flying Horse motors were a little quieter then most, and have been reasonably dependable.

Have you done any tuning on your motor? You know they're not tuned very well from the factory. They're usually jetted too rich.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The gears on the right side, primary and the seconday are not the most precision cut gears. They are a source of noise. Very noisy ones, especially the ones with a 'whaa.whaa, whaa sound can usually be traced to the primary, small gear that is not spinning true. They are sometimes drilled off center and/or at an angle making the gear mesh tight then loose with the big gear.

If you suspect this and want to see how the gears run you can remove the spark plug, reattach it to the plug wire and ground it, disengage the clutch and spin the engine over with a large screwdriver bit in an electric or battery powered drill using the big slotted screw in the small gear. Spin it counter-clock-wise. That's its normal rotation.

Watch the primary gear and you might see it wobbling. That is a noise source. New gears are available but its a crap shoot getting a perfect one. Oddly enough the clutch or secondary gears are usually pretty concentric and run true. It's the small ones that cause the problems.
Good luck.

Tom

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
They are sometimes drilled off center and/or at an angle making the gear mesh tight then loose with the big gear
Never seen that, but have often seen them pressed onto the tapered shaft crookedly which looks similar. Also seen them pressed right over the woodruff key which makes them crack after a while.

2stroker

Apr 29, 2012
orlando
I have a Huffy Cranbrook with a SD Stinger motor in it. I stopped work on this bike to build the Black OX and just did finish up the Huffberry the other day. BTW this is the third 2 stroke build I have done and probably the last one. This bike and motor have about 10 miles on them. I really do not feel good about the way it runs and sounds. It is very loud and it sounds like the noise is coming from the clutch, the power seems down and it feels like it bogs on take off, it is hard to start and seems to want half choke to start up and won't start with full choke at all. I want to sell this bike and enjoy the OX but the way it runs I am concerned about selling it. The bike is uncomfortable for me but that has nothing to do with how it runs or sounds. More BTW once in a while the sound goes away and it sounds normal.
those china gurls are hit and miss..the quality just isn't there..try out a friction drive..i know they tear up tires but I would rather change a tire every few hundred miles instead of changing my engine every few hundred.