Me and my bee

GoldenMotor.com

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
It arrived today. I haven't had time to install it but I was able to take some close up pictures since there weren't many on the internets.
Much to my delight....it's no longer black and yellow....it's all black now which is much more subtle. I don't want it to stick out like a sore thumb.

Once I get it installed I'll post more pictures

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Very cool looking. Kinda a cross between "Call me Bat-Bike" and a cute bugger.

Is that a Light on it? Uber cool.

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
Still haven't gotten the chance to install it, but I have a question. I was going to put a caliper brake on the front wheel but correct me if I'm wrong but being direct drive the engine will act as a brake? Between the coaster brake and the engine I should have ample braking power, right? Stopping kills the engine I'm told and pedaling will start it again. I was also told I can pedal assist to help me up a hill. I may be able to get it together Tuesday. Anyone know how far I can go on a tank? I'm going to REI and getting a fuel canister to hold extra fuel just in case.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
It's a 2 stroke engine. Shutting the throttle will slow you, but not as well as a proper brake, and you will also starve the engine of the lubricant that's in the fuel supply, shortening mechanical life.

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
First impressions: I like how it just starts when you pedal it. The design isn't perfect, but every bike is different. I already put a groove in the roller (totally my fault....I don't think I had it adjusted right) but I got another one anyway since I wasn't sure how long it would last. It hardly vibrates, it's quieter than I expected. There's a lot of trial and error in getting it just right. It's not the most powerful thing but I knew that from the start and with a little pedaling I was going at a nice pace. I had to pedal up a hill but not as hard as I would without it. It's low profile, which I love.
I need to spend more time with it, getting everything to sit right with my bike. I need to break in the engine and really get to know it. In 2 weeks both boys will be in school and I'll have my days free and I'll really be able to futz with it. All in all, I am not disapointed and I am looking forward to its performance once it's properly set up and broke in.
Stay tuned for more pictures and reports.

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
Here is how it looks on my bike....

Pretty snazzy...and it doesn't look like there's a lawnmower attached to the side of my bike.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Looks awesome! Very distinctive build for sure.

Great to read happy. Dig the tires. Really sets off the look.

Wjohnson

Aug 7, 2012
p.a.
Here is how it looks on my bike....

Pretty snazzy...and it doesn't look like there's a lawnmower attached to the side of my bike.
Thats a sweet bike!! I bought a genesis with 29in rims from wally for mine! You have to have the tension just right on the tire and the drive wheel last a long time..i have about 300miles on mine and its doing great! Good Luck!!

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
Im still tinkering with it. I have noticed giving it more throttle doesn't give it more power. More tension on the wheel perhaps?

It may have had too much tension, I removed the bungy and saw a slight improvement. If I move the bolt up a fuzz maybe that will help.

Last edited:

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
I went about 26mph on it, though I was going down hill slightly at the time. I averaged about 16 to 18 with some pedaling. I wish there was a flat area somewhere in my neighborhood so I can really get a good reading. I think with a few tweaks here and there it can be a really useful engine (can you tell I have young kids?). It's a hoot to ride and I got a lot of looks. The kids at the charter school got a big kick out of it when I drove by the school during recess. The bumblebee is a gateway drug to bigger engines.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL, ayup. Starts with "just a small, helper engine" Then one a lil bigger but ya can stop any time you want. (got them fancy disk brakes now) then multi geared engine transmissions....

then some friends and family have an intervention for you. But you cleverly offer to let them ride.....

BA's 12 steps

1. We admitted we were powerless while pedaling—that our hills and distances had become unmanageable.
2. Came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore bicycling to sanity.
3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of engines as we understood them.
4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of the interwebs.
5. Admitted to our budget, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our desires.
6. Were entirely ready to have the patience to remove all these defects of our rides.
7. Humbly asked of our tools to remove all shortcomings.
8. Made a list of all problems that may cause harm, and became willing to make amends to them all.
9. Made direct amends to such issues wherever possible, except when to do so would injure yourself or others.
10. Continued to make modifications and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.
11. Sought through patience and experimentation to improve our contact with the road as we understood it, seeking only for knowledge and entertainment for us and the power to carry that out.
12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to all bicyclists, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
I hope you enjoy it. Both my boys will be in school full time Monday and I plan on giving it a real workout. And you are right there is like zero info on them. The guy isn't great about answering emails either. However if you call him he'll gladly help. Mine was shipped super fast and he even included an extra drive roller (I just noticed it today) even if it isn't the fastest pony in the stable, you can't beat good coustomer service. It's just a mom and pop selling a nice product. They could use a little help in marketing but it looks like I'm doing it for free aren't I?

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
How does the sound compare to a weed eater motor? It looks like a weed eater motor. I am thinking that one of these might be nice for my wife's bike, but since she loooooooves her rear rack, I would go front mounted. But if it is anywhere near as loud as my Ryobi friction drive was, no way she would go for it.