variations in sprocket covers?

GoldenMotor.com

stickerbush

Jun 22, 2011
Pacific Northwest
I just purchased a new sprocket cover from bikeberry to replace the one that was damaged when my front motor mount broke. Bummer though, the new cover does not exactly fit, the upper right mounting hole is misaligned by a couple of millimeters. The countersink for the screws isn't quite big enough either.

Is this just from a bad batch of covers? Or are there differences like this across the various engine blocks?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i think you've answered your own question...:)

i've swapped them between different Grubee models made in different factories (starfires and skyhawk,) and found variations, but with a little tweaking made them fit.

they weren't off as much as yours, though.

stickerbush

Jun 22, 2011
Pacific Northwest
I talked with bikeberry, they haven't had fitment problems with these covers, said they should fit the Grubee Skyhawk. Makes me wonder if I got some sort of weird engine build or something. These are cast parts, made from a mold, there isn't any variance to speak of between these parts. At a loss as what to do now...

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Looks like this.
If it was my engine, I'd align up the cover with 2 screws, making sure of a good fit between the magneto and chain covers. Then start enlarging the third hole as little as possible until it fit. Then take a drill and drill out the recess only enough for the screw to be flush with the cover. No big thing, not worth sending it back and forth. I know, when you buy something that is supposed to fit...it should fit.

Engine looks good, my only concern is the front mount. With studs that long, it might put too much stress on them. But that's me. And the rear mount is flush with the tube, right? It looks like not, but it can be the way the picture is taken.

Last edited: