Sprocket size for a little guy w/ a 70cc HT bicycle engine

GoldenMotor.com

tylerlough

May 28, 2008
Mishawaka, IN
I'm looking to bring the noise down and fuel economy up when cruising at 25, via a smaller sprocket.

I weigh about 130lbs and my bike w/motor weighs 55lbs.

How does a 30 tooth sprocket sound?

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
Re: Sprocket size for a little guy w/ a 70cc HT

you might have to pedal a bit to get started
a 36 would be less pedalling
andyinchville could give better advice (he sells sprockets...see ad on left side of page)

Captain Trips

Jul 16, 2008
Pennsylvania

I purchased a 36T from him and I will say, You pay for what you get. And what you get is a really nice American made sprocket. I love mine. I have to let the clutch out more gradually, but that's fine.

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA

HI Guys,

Thanks for the kind words....As far as going to a 30T sprocket....If you are in a relatively flat area, live at not too high an altitude, and plan on not having a lot of stop and go or slow speed operation....a 30T should be OK....I have sold as low as 27T to a group of people in FL and they seem to be fine with it (First one man bought a 27T then later all the guys friends also bought some from me....I guess that had to try to keep up with their buddy and his small sprocket!)...

FWIW and if you want to save a few $$....Our best sellers are 34T sprockets and they typically sell on eBay for around $20 or so.

Hope this helps you. Good luck in your build and ride safe!

Andrew

cachehiker

Jul 9, 2008
Hyde Park / Logan, UT

How good are These pads from delta.
I'd try Kool Stop Salmons before I'd use the Azteks on a motorized rig.

They are good pads and work great on my 23 lb. hardtail but they weren't up to repeatedly bringing my 50 lb. commuter with a rack and panniers to a stop at the bottom of a 40 mph hill. After a while they glazed over and now they squeal like a pig.

:ride:

tylerlough

May 28, 2008
Mishawaka, IN

I'll try the Azteks, then switch to the more durable Kool Stops if the delta Azteks don't work out.
I'm also use to squealing brakes.

Last edited:

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado

You should consider getting one of those neat shifter kits I just read about. I gotta get one of those but don't have the money as of yet.

tylerlough

May 28, 2008
Mishawaka, IN

Just found out boygofast gave me more metal then he said. I received a 50tooth with the kit instead of the 44 tooth like the description said.

This means I can go
27 mph with a 50T
30 mph with a 44T
almost 34 mph with a 40T
37.5 mph with a 36T
39.7 mph with a 34T
42.2 mph with a 32T
45 mph with a 30T
50 mph with a 27T

These numbers are based upon me having a 27mph top speed on a 50T with the engine screaming, ready to blow a part.

Now I'm looking at getting a 32T to keep top speed around 40mph.

Last edited:

tylerlough

May 28, 2008
Mishawaka, IN

Would cruising at 32 mph be too much for the Kulana Moon Dog to handle? I know it will have good brakes, but will I beat the crap out of the bike riding it this fast?

Last edited: