Greetings from Colorado

GoldenMotor.com

RonInColorado

May 4, 2010
Colorado
This past Sunday I took the easy/chicken's way and bought an already converted bike from a fellow in Golden who had just finished his 3rd conversion.

Back in the day (we're talking early 70s) I had some lasting relationships with scooters and mopeds but never with a motorized bike.

After three days of riding I find myself wondering how I could have wandered so far from my roots for so long, but it sure feels good to be back.

Though I'm chomping at the bit to almost immediately build my own and unload the pre-built that I just bought, the reality is that I will probably be riding this 'Flying Horse' for a while or two. With that said if anyone has some good beginner tips they would like to share, I'm all ears, particularly if it has to do with quieter mufflers that might be available.

It's good to be back home again!

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Ron.
You'll have to become an active member, make a few post before we'll allow links. This is an anti-spam feature that we use. Just post a few comments so we'll know who you are and what you ride. Welcome to the forum. Always good to see new members from Colorado.
Tom

good vibrations

Mar 30, 2010
denva, calarada
Thanks for the tip, in my haste I had forgotten to join subscribe to the forum before posting.
Welcome sir. Hope you enjoy ridin' as much as I do. I'm from the Denver area and commute every day on my MB. The louder the better if you ask me. You'll soon find out you have to ride even more defensively than when you were on yer scoot. People just don't expect a 35mph bike! My muff. is a safety measure. Besides, my neighbors Harley is twise as loud as my bike. At 5am I think he's more of a bother than me. I wouldn't worry about it much.

RonInColorado

May 4, 2010
Colorado
Good Vibes, do you know of anyone local who stocks master links for chain repairs?? I have a 'Flying Horse' engine on my MB with the 410 chain which I broke earlier today. I ordered a replacement and a spare online but won't see those for a couple of days.

I hear what you're saying about the noise being a benefit in terms of safety for in town commutes and quite agree but for example tomorrow (if it weren't for the chain issue) I would have been cruising up to Longmont straight up 287, a long ride during which I would much rather be enjoying my iPod.

good vibrations

Mar 30, 2010
denva, calarada
Good Vibes, do you know of anyone local who stocks master links for chain repairs?? I have a 'Flying Horse' engine on my MB with the 410 chain which I broke earlier today. I ordered a replacement and a spare online but won't see those for a couple of days.

I hear what you're saying about the noise being a benefit in terms of safety for in town commutes and quite agree but for example tomorrow (if it weren't for the chain issue) I would have been cruising up to Longmont straight up 287, a long ride during which I would much rather be enjoying my iPod.
Dax is sort of my go to guy for parts. If I were you I would invest in a 415. Dax is in Littleton so you could save the shipping if you can get to his place. Great guy by the way. Otherwise try Harbor Freight.

RonInColorado

May 4, 2010
Colorado
Good vibes,

Thanks for the heads up on that. I was toying with the idea of ordering the 415 chain last night assuming that it might just be a bit heavier duty chain but being a novice with a long track record of having 'assumptions' come back to bite me I passed. But good information for future reference and the Harbor Freight tip might be especially helpful as there's one located about 1/4 mile from me.

Thanks again for the tip!

-Ron

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Unless you have your heart set on using 415 chain, you can go to Ace Hardware and get #41, which is interchangable with the kit supplied 415. Grainger also carries #41.
As for running open or loud exhaust, you're not doing your engine or the hobby any favors. We're on thin ice here in Colorado with our bikes and running without an end cap or baffles is just asking for trouble. Keep it muffled. The power increase is negligible and is mostly in your head. ie: More noise= more power.
Tom

good vibrations

Mar 30, 2010
denva, calarada
Unless you have your heart set on using 415 chain, you can go to Ace Hardware and get #41, which is interchangable with the kit supplied 415. Grainger also carries #41.
As for running open or loud exhaust, you're not doing your engine or the hobby any favors. We're on thin ice here in Colorado with our bikes and running without an end cap or baffles is just asking for trouble. Keep it muffled. The power increase is negligible and is mostly in your head. ie: More noise= more power.
Tom
Mines not opened up or any louder than stock. Just sayin', I think it helps keep you alive=) My bike actually got quieter after port smoothing and run in. Just keep the muff. clean and it flows fine. No need to destroy the thing by pokin' a bunch of holes in it or stuffin' it with crack filter=) and what not. I don't want this "sport", if you will, taken away either. I CAN'T STOP RIDIN' MAN! I got stuck in the rain today on my way back from downtown. Stopped at Starbucks to wait it out and spent 10min answering an officer's questions about it. Caught 'im standin' there starin' at it when I came back out with my coffee. He loved it! May have converted another hopfully.

RonInColorado

May 4, 2010
Colorado
Tom,

Thanks for the chain info, I also discovered today that at a local bicycle shop that the repair link/master link that they use for their heavy duty BMX chains works perfectly on the 410 chain that came with my ride, eventually I do plan to upgrade to a heavier chain.

I think you may have misunderstood my muffler question, I'm actually looking to be quieter, much quieter without sacrificing performance or at least not too much performance.

I know a lot folks are of the opinion that a loud muffler offers extra safety but my take on that is most people have their windows up, the tunes cranked up and are chatting up a storm while trying to get the kids in the back seat to chill. My approach to my own personal safety hinges on being the most defensive driver/rider on the road, always has been and always will be, that's what has had me accident free over 45 years of driving, mostly 4 wheelers, and occasionally two wheelers.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Ron,
As for quieter, I've experimented with long pipes on a couple of my bikes. The power loss is not noticable but the reduction in sound is. I watch people and when they react to my approach and even at near wot condition the sound of my bikes reaches them less than two houses away. I've also played with air boxes to muffle the distinctive 2 cycle intake noise that probably is louder to me than others because I'm right on top of it.

Good Vibrations: I meant no hostilities toward you, sir. However you'll have to admit that if you're not the person enjoying the ride, the noise of a 2 stroke engine, be it a chain saw, weed eater or a bike can be annoying. We had an influx of kids on motorized scooters/skateboards around our neighborhood a couple of summers ago and the Jeffco Sheriff's Dept. came down on them hard. I just don't want that kind of attention for our hobby/sport.
Thanks for listening.
Tom

RonInColorado

May 4, 2010
Colorado
2Door, thanks for the suggestion. Do you know of anywhere local that one might be able to buy or have made an extension?? I suppose if I were to do some checking at Harbor Freight/ Cycle Shops/Car Parts Shops there might be something that I could rig together.

I'm all about a reasonably quiet ride for the benefit of those who would be annoyed by the noise but not benefiting from nor having an appreciation of the ride. Plus I would like to maybe be able to enjoy my iPod while cruising. I know some would suggest that would be asking for trouble because of not being able to hear cars coming up behind me but as it is with the muffler so loud I can't hear them anyhow and I do have the bike equipped with mirrors on both sides as well as a helmet mounted mirror all of which I use religiously and continuously just as I do when driving my car.

Ain't nobody sneaking up on this kid :)

good vibrations

Mar 30, 2010
denva, calarada
Ron,
As for quieter, I've experimented with long pipes on a couple of my bikes. The power loss is not noticable but the reduction in sound is. I watch people and when they react to my approach and even at near wot condition the sound of my bikes reaches them less than two houses away. I've also played with air boxes to muffle the distinctive 2 cycle intake noise that probably is louder to me than others because I'm right on top of it.

Good Vibrations: I meant no hostilities toward you, sir. However you'll have to admit that if you're not the person enjoying the ride, the noise of a 2 stroke engine, be it a chain saw, weed eater or a bike can be annoying. We had an influx of kids on motorized scooters/skateboards around our neighborhood a couple of summers ago and the Jeffco Sheriff's Dept. came down on them hard. I just don't want that kind of attention for our hobby/sport.
Thanks for listening.
Tom
Oh, no. I didn't take it as hostility at all. No worries. Your neighborhood has alot to do with it. There are some cars on my block that sound like their runnin' staight pipes under there so I really don't have much to worry about in that respect. Also, I even find those little go peds and crap a little annoying=) I imagine myself rollin by one of 'em on my bike an accidently stickin' my leg out to "ballance" my-self. Oops.xx.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Ron,
I don't have any idea about your fabrication skills but extended pipes can be made from 1/2" or 3/4" EMT, electrical conduit. It requires a bender and some welding but they're not difficult to make. Here's a couple of ideas that might give you inspiration.
Tom

Attachments

RonInColorado

May 4, 2010
Colorado
2door,

Thanks for the tip. As I was cruising through the electrical dept. at Home Depot the other day it also occurred to me that flexible steel conduit carefully routed and secured might be a hot ticket as well. I'm somewhat skilled fabrication wise but also somewhat lacking in tools but somehow always manage to find a way to get things done.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Ron,
Flex conduit doesn't work. It leaks, badly. The wraps are not gas/oil/exhaust tight. Some guys have had luck with the flexible gas lines used for appliance hook-up to a gas supply. It is bendable and holds pressure, comes in copper or stainless steel. You'll have to devise some fittings for the ends but it can be done. Good luck, keep us posted.
Tom

RonInColorado

May 4, 2010
Colorado
You have incredible timing I was just about to head out the door to do some exploring along those lines (no pun intended) but the gas line rather than the the conduit makes a great deal of sense.

Thanks for the tip!!

-Ron