I'm So Glad To Be Here - Grateful To Have Found This Forum!!!

GoldenMotor.com

Catfisher

Apr 10, 2010
Heart of Illinois
dance1

I'm living in Central Illinois; just an old (57) rockin' hippie looking for work after his retirement fund went broke. The problem is I got stupid last October and got a DUI from way too much alcohol. Totally my fault. But because I had a prescription drug DUI 24 years ago, I will lose my driving priveleges for about 5 or 6 years; instead of 1 or 2.

I am driving currently with a breathalizer in the car, but I will lose that upon conviction sometime in May. I have spent literally about 20 to 30 hours online trying to figure out what type of battery powered bike I could build, wishing I could get something with a gas engine. Now, this morning, by chance, I discovered that the state of Illinois finally did something progressive and added small gas powered bicycles to the electric bike law. Then I almost had a heart attack when I saw the old law (pre 2010) required a valid drivers license even for just the electric bike. Thank God they removed that requirement so now I can get a powered bicycle even though I will have no license.

Anyway, I will now cruise this forum to glean information. I have a lot of decisions to make in the next 30 days. I understand the Illinois law is for engines up to 1 HP and speeds up to 20 MPH.

Any info is always appreciated, and I may start a thread asking for suggestions in the proper area.

Right now I am just so excited to know I can get some wheels - yowie!!

dance1

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Funny I am the first to respond, 12 years ago, a drunk driver almost (literally) killed me and my whole family, and the resulting injuries to me didn't allow me to ride a bicycle any more, so I looked into motorized bikes...

A friction drive week eater may fit under that hp limit, check out the DIY forum here on the site. You will be able to build something without much hassle.

Welcome to THE site.

Alajoyn

Sep 28, 2009
Portage, MI
Welcome to the forum.
Justa note. Don't forget a tandem bike. You get to have a guest with you and or redisign the seating area and utilize it for hauling other stuff, like groceries, etc. Endless opportunities. I'm not sure but it may be worth looking into, but I've read some of the laws and find that a 2 seat bicycle "might" get around certain specifications of local certification....opens it up to opinions which may be "bent". Again I'm not certain but you might look into it.

I get to Joliet to visit my son now and again. I trailer (convert from my boat) my tandem to locations for my wife and I to ride. We can meet up sometime in the summer possibly.

You've found a great forum.

Robert

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Catfisher, welcome. I been there, not fun and all my own fault too.

That is great news about them easing up on MBs where you live. I just found out they did here in CT too. (no cc requirement, just brake horse power. just makes for more options of engines) Did you see the laws and reg section here? Should share your information. Purtty kool!

http://motorbicycling.com/search.php?searchid=447830

Enjoy, some great folks here

.flg.