airless bicycle tires?

GoldenMotor.com

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
I did try them once many years ago when I was living on an off shore island and the roads were pretty darn dreadful. From what I remember they bumped a lot and made for a harder ride as compared with pneumatic tires, but not getting punctures all the time did make up for it.

Aug 21, 2010
Kingman AZ
I recently bought (but have not as yet installed) some rather thick tubes that are also "slimed" for my bike. The guy was straight up with me as far as solid tires were concerned. I will be riding on dirt and desert roads that are sometimes really washes. He promised me nothing but grief with solids. Our biggest problem here in rural Northern Arizona is "goatheads". The depth to which they can puncture is well short of the thickness of an aggressive tire in conjunction with the really thick tubes. Considering that the prices were within pennies of each other he actually had no obvious cash motivated motive for steering me towards the thick walled tubes.

2strokebke

May 17, 2013
Richmond,Va
I did try them once many years ago when I was living on an off shore island and the roads were pretty darn dreadful. From what I remember they bumped a lot and made for a harder ride as compared with pneumatic tires, but not getting punctures all the time did make up for it.
oh okay, Im going to buy then thanks alot.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Every solid tire I have seen over the years rode horribly. Most feel very insecure and greasy and I never felt safe using them. I've tried just about every style, foam, solid, plastic. They ALL felt greasy and terribly unsafe.
I'll stick with x-tra thick tubes and carry a patch kit rather than feel like I'm riding two flat tires ALL the time.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Just say no to solid tires.....go ahead, say it!

(or you'll be sorry)

Thick quality DH inner tubes such as Maxxis, Kenda or Intense are the way to go with a quality tire and Slime if you must.

Hard tires (solid) on bikes are akin to the old rock wheels on skateboards...."just say NO"!

borntofli

Jul 27, 2012
tx
And at the speeds we travel, solid tires are a recipe for disaster....... Get yourself a crash suit to go with the tires....

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I've used the airless tubes and the airless tires in the past. Mine went straight to the trash it was a waste of money in my experience.

I mounted mine on a pedal bike first before trying them on my Motorized Bicycle. As bad as they were on a pedal bike no way would I have ever mounted them on a motorized bicycle.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I would say anything solid, airless or semi-pneumatic as far as tires and/or tubes for bicycles is a complete waste of money and time.

Tubeless is fine if you can use that application in the limited supply of what's offered now, but I'll stick to what works for me.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I've used the airless tubes and the airless tires in the past. Mine went straight to the trash it was a waste of money in my experience.

I mounted mine on a pedal bike first before trying them on my Motorized Bicycle. As bad as they were on a pedal bike no way would I have ever mounted them on a motorized bicycle.
Was looking at some old photos and I forgot about the Rugged cycle that had solid tires lol.

These tires did okay but I do remember after about 4 months chunks of the tire started to come off. These are the only solid tires that I had any luck with it. Still, I would prefer air tires over the solid. I did put a lot of miles on those solid tires.

Video of Rugged cycle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHAoO7L8glQ&list=UUOpY8mwJ0pUp2qU_8PH7qjA

Attachments

Last edited:

2strokebke

May 17, 2013
Richmond,Va
Was looking at some old photos and I forgot about the Rugged cycle that had solid tires lol.

These tires did okay but I do remember after about 4 months chunks of the tire started to come off. These are the only solid tires that I had any luck with it. Still, I would prefer air tires over the solid. I did put a lot of miles on those solid tires.

Video of Rugged cycle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHAoO7L8glQ&list=UUOpY8mwJ0pUp2qU_8PH7qjA
Nice video, I love moto bikes i just do.

Chainreaction

Dec 14, 2014
Tulsa OK
That reminds me back when I was a kid I filled my inner tubes on my Stingray up with water (not easy), to try and combat leaky tubes plus just to see what it would be like. Of course it was impossible to completely fill them, it had quite the surge going down the road.