Painting the motor

GoldenMotor.com

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Quick question, folks... for the build I'm working towards, I want to paint the engine. I have the right paint (rattlecan of engine paint), but what I'm wondering is.....

Should I lap the head and jug first, or after It's painted?

Of course I'll have to mask everything off to keep the paint on the outside only first, and figure out my set-up for the project (already got it in mind), but after doing a search I haven't found an answer (yet). So, any thoughts?

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Do all the oily hand handling work first. When done your cleanup, mask intake/ exhaust, top surface and bottom of jug to keep paint out of polished cylinder. Typically I'll paint the bottom while seperated from the top. see some engines painted in "my builds" album for some color scheme ideas. good luck

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I concur. Do the messy stuff first. After the lapping, grinding and dirty jobs, clean the parts you want to paint well using a grease cutting solvent such as BrakeClean, let it dry and shoot the color.
I like to paint the head and cylinder seperately then sand off the paint on the edges of the cooling fins. But that's just personal preference.

I've had very good luck with just ordinary spray enamel and don't worry about engine/high temp paint. The parts really don't get hot enough to compromise the paint. Dupli-Color seems to work well as does Rustoleum, Krylon and even model airplane paint.

I also give the completed and painted engine a coat of TopFlite model airplane clear to fuel proof the paint but I've also gone without that step with good long lasting results.

Good luck and show us the finished product.

Tom

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Cool, that's what I was thinking but figured I'd throw it out there first.

The dremel work's been done on the ports and I've filed the intake and exhaust port mating surfaces flat already. I'll set up to lap the head and jug a little later.

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
If I may chime in... VHT engine paint has given me great long lasting results. They make a high temp primer and clear coat too. I have also used it on standard metal surfaces with great results... good durable paint. I'm just sayin'.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I just updated my Autobike build thread with pics of recent work done to the motor.. Here's a few more.

The paint is VHT Engine Metallic. The colour is "Fiery Red." A bit more orange than I expected, but I like it. I will be painting the three covers, but haven't thought about painting the bottom end much besides that. I'm leaving the paint to set for now, I'll probably 'bake' it gently with the heat gun in a day or two.

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Looking good.
Have you given any thought to polishing the side covers? It doesn't take much and they will buff out very well.

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Not really... you mean just buff them 'til they're nice and shiny?
I start by sanding them with 320 grit oxide paper to smooth the rough casting marks then work down to 400. When all of the surface defects are gone I go to my bench buffer and use buffing compound.
The aluminum will take on a chrome look after some work. They will also retain the look and only require an occasional cleaning with something like NeverDul or any good metal polish.
Post #65 shows how they'll look > http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=44276&page=7

Tom

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
2Door those look great, Speaking of Post 65, That filter assembly on your carb, I need something like that for my ride currently. Posted in the intake exhaust section. Thanks.
LOL, thanks for the kind words but that air filter is nothing special. It is in fact a Vienna Sausage can. Food containers can be adapted for use for many things. Some of them are stainless steel, some alunimum. Most can be buffed to a chrome-like finish with a little work or painted to match the bike or engine color. In fact there is a stock NT air filter hidden inside that can. :)

Tom