1911 Flying Merkel single build.

GoldenMotor.com

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
Well; With all the stops and starts and delays this build is taking WAY longer than planned. First it was the cancer ( now banished ) then it was my hip ( bone spurs and bursitis ) now the bursitis has moved to my shoulder :-|| That I could cope with but the HEAT has been unmanagable. That, and all my elderly mothers issues. But their is hope! Have my reduction drive in hand and the 3D clutch I have decided to use will arrive today! AND next week it's supposed to be cooler. SO. Some progress may be made. Honestly there is not that much left to be done and with a little luck could be rideable "soonish" I'm still here and still plotting and scheming :)

When it rains it pours, hang in there brother!
Looking forward to seeing the finished project!

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Hey Velodrome..........

I didn't realize a comment you made until I dug way back into an old post on this build, but you said "I got the short end of the stick on our trade" Not true bro we did a good trade and to see the bike come as far as you have brought is more then fair with me you have done (again) a FANTASTIC JOB !!! that's a fair deal with me Bro.
The only unfair deal for me was when the guy I paid to fix the forks ripped me off not only for the $$$ I paid him but bike too, You and I are good Bro, keep up the good work!
Luv Ya Bro!
I felt a little guilty bout that. Sorry you got hosed. Fair trade at the time.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Ok. I screwed myself and cant work on the FM because I got over excited and ordered the wrong 3D clutch. I gotta have a #35 output sprocket and I ordered one with a #41 job. Replacement sprocket, gold #35 HD chain and a few other bits and bobs are on the way from Calli STANDBY FOR NEWS!

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
OK! Big change of plans. I finally got my parts back from the "machinest" and took em over to a fiends shop. He knows a guy that knows a guy. The flywheel was machined properly in 2 days! Then I changed plans. Ya, I know I'm an ass but what ya gonna do. See. The whole thing is, once I stuck the GHX100 motor in the frame it REALLY didn't look right. Way to short. OR way too much frame to fill. Seeing as I finally talked Pat into selling me one of his reduction drives for GC160 thats the route I'm going. Pat's drive is now on the bike AND the tank is sealed with Caswells "Dragon's Blood" AND as I really didn't care for the MM hub adapter one of Pats 3 piece jobs is on there as well. I really prefer Pat's adapter. May or may not hold any better but it damn sure is better finished as well as Bonnaville proven. To top it all off I got back in touch with Dan Orabona and he is still making bits and bobs. Got a brass pull starter pulley a brass velocity stack and one of his GC160 dress up kits modified to take my nineteen teens Edison spark plug! Those bits are in the mail; and the NEW GC160 with correct carb is sitting in my living room. SO we are go for progress! Need to get with Bob and do some welding next week to finish fabing the drop stand and hopefully mount the motor.
10-6-17 019.JPG
10-6-17 017.JPG
10-6-17 022.JPG
10-6-17 004.JPG
10-6-17 002.JPG

Last edited:

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Engine has that fancy cylinder and head! I may yet one day build for looks, but so far have not. I think though I really need an adjustable carb as even with the newer used engine of mine, when it is hot, it can be hard starting after running a while. I may have to wait a while to get it to run again. Bike on the side to coat the tank I suppose?

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Was it noticed after it was attached to the frame that it needed to be sealed for pin hole leaks? Is the tank removable or welded to the frame itself?

I have a plastic tank that was made for a lawn mower. I have liked it as I know older steel tanks can have issues with rust. The tank on the frame you have going, looks very authentic for some period long ago! Great art work!

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
No leaks I could find when prepping the tank for the sealant. ( lacquer thinner ) Just a strong precaution against rust in the future.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Well. USPS apparently had some sort of seizure ! But the parts from Dan FINALLY arrived today! No pics yet. Now I need to vintageafy the motor and add the bits and 3D clutch. Think I'm going with VHT cast iron paint. Wondering who had experience using the VHT hi temp engine enamel paint on virgin surfaces. I'm gonna go nuts with brake clean to degrease but wondering if hi temp primer is really needed.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Shake Very Vigorously, Spray Light at 1st and always do a test area on something your not going to use on the bike, I use it (VHT HIGH TEMP ENGINE PAINT) all the time and I Love It !
No Prime is necessary and I don't use it when I do Cylinders.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Not Necessary for vintagizing raw metal as it is an engine applied paint you can use a VHT prime on other stuff and always wait for cure time so paint won't smudge on any surface application. If you oven cure it put the oven for 60 mins.on LOW or Warm and leave the Oven door (Cracked) but vacate and ventilate the room. but since you live in AZ just set it out side in the sun for about 48/78 hrs and be SAFE!!.

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
You Can Oven cure it but turn the oven on a low or warm temp with the oven door open/cracked Ventilate and Vacate the room or just set it outside in the sun since you live in AZ for 48/72 hrs.

Attachments

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon