Retro style fenders.

GoldenMotor.com

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I've found a way.

This first one is crude. But it was only meant as proof-of-concept anyway.

But for those who want that old, classic 'euro' look, this is a pretty easy way of getting closer to it.

I won't even need to explain the construction. The close-up photo tells the story, pretty much.
DSCN0556.JPG

Fender on front.JPG

Fender on rear.JPG

The next one ought to be a bit more 'polished'. Maybe good enough to put on my bike. We'll see.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
"Where there's a will, there's a way"

Unique approach, Blue. Do they keep you cleaner when riding on wet streets?
Thanks for sharing.

Tom

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I haven't ridden yet with these, Tom, so I couldn't say. That set above was just a 'rough draft' anyway.

But I just finished making a set for my existing fenders. Provided I have 40 1/2 inch machine screws plus the necessary washers and nuts on hand, I'll have them installed by evening.

Then I'll just have to wait on some rainy weather. But, truth to tell, I'm more interested in cosmetics than performance. When it's rainy I'm wearing some pretty waterproof clothing, anyway.

The real point of these is to give my bike more of a European depression/war era look.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
KOOOOOOL, i like them What did you make them from,bead roll the lip?..............Curt
Thanks, curtis. They're made of plastic. Cut out of the side of cheap totes or bins that you can get from a dollar store.

Now I did find that in strong Sun light they're obviously cheap plastic and the color match isn't quite perfect. So I guess I'm going to have to paint them to match. I'd better get on the before the cold, wet weather gets here.

I give up. What is it? And whats stashed in that bundle by the front axle?
That bundle is my tool kit. Those struts I fastened onto the front forks serve a few purposes. One holds my tool kit and the other holds my U-lock. And bot of them serve as bottom anchor points for a couple of backpacks that I sometimes hang there beside the front wheel. They give me a point to lash to plus they hold the backpacks out a few inches so that they don't get tangled up in the wheel.

Here's a better look in decent Sunlight.
mud guards.JPG

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
Looks like that bikes ready for rough weather or anything else. You didn't forget anything did you. I bet its solid as a rock too

Last edited:

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Me thinks Blue was inspired by this> http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/underboning-the-world-2-symbas-1-couple-no-sense.716979/

His bike is even the same colors.

Tom
Ah-hah!...A clever tie-in to that 'round the world trip. Good thinking there, 2door. Because this really is a story that MB'ers will appreciate.

Looks like that bikes ready for rough weather or anything else. You didn't forget anything did you. I bet its solid as a rock too
Thanks, kevyleven. Yes. She's been nice and solid. Takes care of most of my transportation needs. She's only about 7 months old now. Though the frame must be about thirty or thirty five years old.

Naturally, there've been a few snafus. But only a couple. She's been getting my to and from work plus local errands nearly everyday without trouble.

She's been a fine little commuter and life is good.

In another six weeks or so I'll put on the studded tires and everything ought to be just fine for winter.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Had to look overseas for the fenders you wanted, eh?

I remember that you posted a thread that gave me the idea for these fenders. And it seems to me that you were pretty sure you wouldn't find what you needed in America.

But if you got what you want, then I don't suppose ordering from Europe is any big deal. Hope the cost wasn't too high. Shipping, for instance.

MacZulu

Jul 3, 2015
Vancouver
Ya for a fairly common fender, it was hard to find. i paid $60 CAD shipping with a brooks saddle, handlebars and a leather tool bag. so not too cheap and a little customs on top, but the saddle was a $100 cheaper than local. so that took some of the sting out of it.

so I think your on the right path if you can make your own