Onyx 29 inch - Alternative Gas Tank Mounting?

GoldenMotor.com

mjharden1

May 25, 2011
naples, fl
Hi, the upper tube is too large to use traditional mount. Does anyone have any suggestions for an alternative?

I cringe to ask, but it's the only thing I can think of. Would any type of composite be strong enough to hold, such as liquid weld?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
Are you sure it won't work, even with longer bolts? Here's another build, not mine, where the fellow bolted -through- the top tube. Not how I would do it, but it appears to work for him.

Sure you don't want a friction drive? I'm selling mine and it's a piece of cake to install. ;)

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
What about extending the studs on the tank with Coupling Nuts and then using four bolts to hold the straps to the Nuts?

ocscully
That's EXACTLY how I mounted my four-liter Happy Time fuel tank. My Diamondback Response has this STRONGBOX squarish top tube. The straps wouldn't fit, so I used flat plate instead.

Then, when I installed a Tanaka three-piece expansion pipe, the HT tank was in the way, so I moved the tank to a rear mount.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I didn't take pictures to show it, but if you ever get a close look at a Micargi Huntington top tube, it's pretty big and shaped weird. It's oval long-wise-up & down in front and oval long-wise-sideways near the seat post.

I just took a large piece of pipe, cut a notch in a chunk of wood a little bigger than the pipe, and used my bench vise to form longer deep-bellied straps to go around that top tube. I then drilled bolt holes the proper distance apart and bolted down the tank like normal with no worries.

Last edited:

daimok

May 1, 2011
NC
what about the gas tank that goes over the rear tire ?? or make one of the ones that attach to the rear of the seat.

atombomb232610

Sep 6, 2011
Milwaukee,Wi
also for the 29" onyx hand controls.... harley 1" throttle and bicycle brake levers. i used drag specialties. DO NOT leave your clutch depressed it will weaken your clutch springs and prematurely stretch your cable.

Nikko

Jun 23, 2011
So Cal
that is the next bike im motorizing for sure. how is the rear rim holding up? i dont know if its because im using crappy rims or what but ive already destroyed the spokes on 2 different beach cruiser rims. i saw this bike at walmart though and it looks badass

donb4103

Oct 7, 2011
Chickasha,Oklahoma
I am building my 4th Onyx right now. This one is going to be a 4stroke. I have used rivets on all of my gas tank mounts so far. Everyone has held up quite well so far. I just rivet the straps to the top of the frame then set the tank down on them and tighten them up real snug with self locking nuts.

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
How 'bout one of these behind and under the seat ? Big and bulky like the bike. 5 litres, or about 1 and a third gallons.

http://www.finn-kool.com/Keg%20Tank%20Photos.gif

Looking at the shape, I believe it's the same as a beer mini-keg. You can fine those on ebay for $5 - $10.....or just get a Heinekin and find some way to empty it......oh the sacrifices we make for our motorized bikes.

MHF

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
What about extending the studs on the tank with Coupling Nuts and then using four bolts to hold the straps to the Nuts?

ocscully
This is exactly what I did on my 29er, used short allen head screws on the bottom of the barrel nuts

R/Mac

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles

ocscully
i have a firmstrong bruiser and used this method. problem is I havent found #5 coupling nuts so I bought a tap and threaded 1/4 inch stainless tubing. id rather use the nuts, as the stainless will strip in your not careful, but the nuts are too thick as the tank studs barely clear the top tube width anyway

Donavan321

Sep 27, 2012
Appleton, Wisconsin
Use some flexible plumbing strap big roll has holes already punched in....like $1 similar to the straps they use for coaster brake arms, my buddy has a frame just like that and we made the mounts look like the stock except out of that strap material, works great! Looks great!