Worksman Drop Loop Frame BTR

GoldenMotor.com

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Subcom,

The Original Artist who first designed the Period Correct Worksman Tribute Board Track Racer's is Rick Gilmore, he is also a forum member here his screen name is cinelliphyle!

You can reach him at his website at VROOMART.COM or Private Message him here thru the forum.

His phone is Rick...
253=826-0252
[email protected]

joe joe dogface, you could contact forum member above in quote his screen name is cinelliphyle, private message him or email or phone him for information regarding a gas tank!

C.H.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
If Rick isn't interested in making one, Sportscarpat is making them for Pirate Cycles and might be a source for you. It won't be cheap, but he does nice work in stainless steel.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Very nice, clean build, Louie. I can see you know what you're doing and are not new to this. Once again, welcome to the forum. Lots of good folks here, so you're in the right place.
SB

GvardLoan

Jul 31, 2010
Boston
Not having the welding skills myself, I'd gladly pay $900 for a correct frame to build my dream bike. How do I get in touch with the builder?

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
I just picked up a Worksman and was wondering if anyone knew how to find the year/model??

I really wanna know and cant find anything online.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I just picked up a Worksman and was wondering if anyone knew how to find the year/model??

I really wanna know and cant find anything online.
I tried to find out with mine last summer and there seems to be no database I could access. I emailed Worksman asking them, but never got a response. It seems strange since they have been in business for so long and one would think something made in 1910 would have extra value to a collector. I couldn't find vintage pictures either. How long have they been making the newsboy I wonder and did it always look the same...
SB

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
How long have they been making the newsboy I wonder and did it always look the same...
SB
Some look very different. Check out this Worksman frame. It has a real strange looking down tube. I think it's called a "Sportsman Flyer Deluxe". They are very rare..........

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Pat, this is awe inspiring seeing the quality and skill of your welding for those of us who admire your ARTWORK!!!!

Both of you Pat & Rick Gilmore have this Tribute Worksman Drop Loop Period Correct Look Frame design down to a science.

As far as I'm concerned both of you are Rocket Scientist's, when it comes to building period correct look Worksman Drop Loop Frame Tribute Board Track Racer's & Drop Loop Frame 1910-20's Tribute Road Style Cruiser's

Peace Crazy Horse.

P.S. Pat, please don't forget about the Worksman Straight Bar ( M2600 ) Industrial Cruiser, for your 1910-20's era road cruiser tribute builds! Just a thought.

Here's Rick Gilmore's version a Tribute Worksman Straight Bar ( M2600 ) Drop Loop Frame 1910-20's Road Style Cruiser as a Tribute 1910 Harley, just look at Ricks paint skills they are immaculate a close to an original as he could get with the look JMO:

remichi

Apr 28, 2011
Netherlands
wow, I really like the Indian bike in the first post. Wish they were for sale anywhere, and especially in Europe.
So who in the USA makes these Worksman BTR's? These are really the nicest ones I've seen so far.

Last edited:

Kris Blake

Mar 7, 2011
Riverside, Ca
I GOTTA CHIME IN!!!...

I am in the process of having a BTR built by Taylor Cycles (Dan) and am running into some snags.
There seems to be VERY LITTLE access to authentic 3 pc bars, engine options, Quill/stem/goosenecks and wheels (out of stock/limited choices besides Worksman or Husky).
The main hub of the build is the motor. If you want a good one, you choose Morini but geez is it UGLY! The china motors can be dressed up better but they are weak and junky.
I contacted Pat (Sportsman Flyer) about getting some 1" clamps to replicate the 3 pc handlebars, as he is the ONLY one I've been able to find doing these!
What I find is there are plenty of highly skilled fabricators bending frames and welding tanks but that's as far as it goes.
I have no problem spending the extra money on the details to make the BTR look more authentic so to answer your question about who would buy the drop loop frames and tanks..."**** yes, I would!" I prefer the Indian style (round) right now but if both were offered I'd eventually get both.

To the masters of fabrication out there;
PLEASE take the advice of the public and create a source where the consumer can "BUY" the accessories they need (good fork replicas, wheels, 4+HP engines (that look decent), bar choices, tanks, drop loop frames, old style levers, saddles, air cleaners, fuel taps, period correct accessories etc.

I dont mean to come off as an ass (I know I am) I happen to think I speak for many enthusiasts when I express my frustrations of trying to find things that there is clearly a demand for, but not able to locate!

Last thing, Someone compared a production bike to a custom drop loop roller with tank and tool box. $900 for one of those seems VERY reasonable and after you consider the "work" involved with bending, shaping, welding and grinding, There is NO comparison. I myself would feel retarded riding a production bike. To own a antique bicycle or a custom built replica is totally different from owning a store bought bicycle and owning/riding one gives me a sense of pride.

Thanks to all of you who post your photos on here! I have learned many things and used your ideas to create an AWESOME BTR! (should be complete in 3 weeks)
(Dan is the builder, not me. I'm the one that pesters him every day and sends updates and changes every few minutes)
Chris Hammond of Riverside just drove by and wanted me to say hello to the forum. Hi.
Ride hard,
Kris

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
A lot has changed since this thread was started. If you find the Morini ugly then use a Whizzer engine. You can get 8 hp out of them pretty easy and they have a nice vintage look to them. I hear what your saying about availability of quality BTR parts and am addressing that issue to some extent. I will have a VERY complete web site opening soon that will list all the necessary parts to build a boardie, but keeping the store stocked will be another issue. Most of my parts are still made to order at this point. It's all about supply and demand.

WZ Flyer by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

WZ Flyer by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Sportsman WZ Flyer by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Kris Blake

Mar 7, 2011
Riverside, Ca
Hi Pat,
I will look forward to your items becoming available! I GUARANTEE I will be a customer!
I have a friend (just one) who lives 2 blocks from me and feels the exact same frustrations with the lack of parts. Based on this and the fact that the world is 918,442 times larger than Riverside, Ca, I think you will find that the demand will consume your supply.

As far as the Morini, I should have clarified a little. The motor itself isn't ugly but the Morini on a boardtracker that is suppose to "replicate" an old BTR, screams mis-match. If you are going for the meaty, motorcycle look then it works great.
By the way, I'm using the Morini on the BTR currently being built. I am having everything possible done to shroud the two-toned modern beast!

Thank you,
Kris

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Kris,
I am curious as to your build and would like to see pictures. I have yet to see another boardie with Morini power plant beyond my own builds. I look at our modern boardies as a compromise in design with what is readily available for power plants. Were no different in a lot of ways with the turn of the century builds. Using whatever is available to build a racing machine. They needed a big loop frame for the engine crank case. Form and function. On my Morini builds I also needed a big loop, form and function. I needed the loop to stuff the pipe into. For anyone reading this thread from the first page, this picture shown below represents one of the first five stretch and loop bikes I built. Originally I told Crazyhorse I would build these bikes if I got five solid orders. This is Racer #2 of that first run. I have now built 6 Racers, 5 WZ Flyers, and three non stretch frames with added drop loop. I also have five more stretch frames in the works. Some will be Racers, some WZ Flyers.

Sportsman Racer by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Last edited: