Dave31 BoXer

GoldenMotor.com

Thud

May 26, 2010
West Michigan
Re: Dave31 scsw BoXer

Looking good Dave, wheel lacing is a nesisary skill & not to tough really.

Are thoses Inova tires? or Hook worms.....how bout a review...getting stir crazy up here in the snow belt.
keep us updated. & thx in advance.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

Well I have been doing my own wheels but I still have problems after building them. I dont know if I am just abusing them or I am doing something wrong. Just a hop off a curb seems to bend my wheels?

Yes that is a Inova...best tire I have used for the track. Its got a nice soft compound and is the sticky icky on the track. I run around 70-80psi for the track.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

The hookworms work excellent on the track as well, I have made many laps with them and I would use the hookworms or the Inova but I feel the inova is better. But I think they only come in 24"

Thud

May 26, 2010
West Michigan

I find a cross 4 pattern is a lot stiffer set up once built. (its all I use)
That & getting the initial tension correct. Billionair's have spoke touque wrenches...I just gage by a near by rim...changing to a heavyer gage, don't be afraid to up your tension also... hope that helps.

lots of spoke calculators out there to play with.

Thanks for the tire info...I will be riding on Pirrellis most likely.
But am bringing a couple bikes & will prolly have a couple set ups to try.
Been eyeballing the Inovas...hook worms are kinda proven.

PedOpt

Apr 2, 2011
St. Paul, MN

The bike looks awesome with those street tires. Let me know how it rides with them. You should get a tank cover. I got one and the best part is I know Meyer or ADA in Az stocks them. I'm not sure if anyone here has seen my bike after I got it powder coated but here it is with the tank cover.
Time to destroy the competition on the 2nd but I'm gunning for you in the summer race! LOL

Where does one find a frame like that?.wee.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

Haven't looked or even ridden my BoXer since DR. Got some new tires for it and noticed I have no brake pads front and rear and both rotors are so warped they are rubbing. Very odd cause I had plenty of pads before the race. I guess I was pushing so hard trying to keep up with the e-bike and 10hp morini.

Wow!.....all you can say is, Death Race.

Also my handle bars are like a 1/4" shorter from me sliding across the track.

So I need new pads, grips, pedals and hopefully I can at least true the rear rotor the front one is shot. Man this is really gonna hurt me for the race in June. :(

city of angels

May 24, 2009
tucson az

well u have the same problem i do in the last three weeks 4 flat tires both bike no clutch i got the two wheeler some what fix and just today i got a flat on the front and i lost both brakes cant wait for payday so i could take it to the shop so i could fix them

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

That sucks Raul.With me when I get a flat, it seems like I get 4-5 right in a row. If you need a hand let me know.

I just priced my pads :eek: Geee whizzz my pads for my truck were half as much...what a rip off! Plus I can only find them on Ebay and I dont do Ebay.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

Photo 1 Upgraded from the cheap $10 tire to some Hookworms, waiting for the front tire to come in.

Photo 2 I cannot believe I was all the way on the edge, that is some extreme angle! No wonder I went down.

Attachments

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

Her she is with both new Hookworms. I hope this extra meat on the tires will make it handle better. Those Marzochi forks are real nice but weigh as much as a dump truck for pavement.

Now I just gotta figure out why my front spokes are hitting my caliper as well as the rotor. The pads are not worn as I thought? But even if the pads were completely gone this still should not happen.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

I never noticed how close my front spoke were to the caliper with full pads (photo 1). As the pads wear the spokes come in contact with the caliper (photo 2).

No biggie, simple fix with shorter spacers. With a little adjustment the caliper has room to go outward away from the wheel some more. (photo 3).

Attachments

Last edited: