Status
Not open for further replies.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
The clutch. care and fooling with it

part 1

Here we go again I got Rufus my handy dandy portable grease rag helper raring to go and tear into the clutch. Easy kitty we are gitten ready to rip. What worries me is the cat is white!? 1st picture. I think ol Rufus has been hitting the catnip again and almost O.D. on it?!

I'm taking off this nut and small gear just to show how its done, cause there's been trouble with the woodruff key on other people's bikes and I'm showing you how to get it off right hand threads and I'm using a hand impact tool To work on only the clutch leave the small gear alone and keep on looking at the rest of this post. 2nd picture

The puller to get the gear off and it works good you will see.Please use the goo on the threads so you don't tear it up.( ruin the threads) 3rd picture

I sad to report my little friend Rufus passed away last night. 4-5-1991 to 2-23-2012 rest in peace my little friend.

Attachments

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Re: The clutch.

part 2

The outer part of the puller housing on the small gear. 1st pic

the inner part of puller in place. 2nd pic

puller being used to remove the small gear. 3rd pic

This is so you will know how to remove it not necessary to do to ajust the clutch.

Attachments

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas

part 3

drawing of how the goodies all look. pic 1

hard to see the key but its there. pic 2

this is the set screw you take out to turn the so called flower nut/ star nut to adjust the clutch. pic 3

Attachments

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas

part 4

1. the clutch plate spring, plate, flower nut, retaining set screw. Someone said to stretch this spring don't do that you are wasting your time.

2. friction pads and where if grease gets on them they will slip

3. with small gear off you can spin this gear with your finger. Big deal!

Attachments

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas

part 5

1. this inner part is the driven part of the clutch turn rear wheel and it goes around. Great just what you wanted to know.the little nub in the center is the rod that works the clutch plate and inside there somewhere is the spring that slams the silver plate shut onto the pads to make it all work and not that wossy spring we took off before even Rufus knows that.

2. turn flower nut clock wise to stop slipping and counter clock wise to make it slip but pull in and lock the lever on the handlebars so you can spin it( the flower nut) with your fingers. 1 to 2 turns may be too much keep reading and looking as its easy if you do it right. I ain't lieing well a little. Heck I'll send Rufus he will get it right and make all of us look like fools.

3. how the lever and arm should look when everything working the clutch lever arm should have a little slack when adjusted correctly 1/16" or a little free play.

4. when clutch is pulled in, how it will look again your arm position my vary a little so hang in there cause there is the easy way to turn the flower nut( pull in the clutch lever and set the lock) and you don't need a wrench like I've seen on posts else where. which I've said a doz. times, wella few times? Don't get me mad, Rufus will turn loose the flyin monkees and you know what they did to the scarecrow don't you?!!

Attachments

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas

part 6

1. you only need to turn the flower nut with your fingers to adjust and not a big friggen socket and breaker bar pull in and lock the clutch lever use your finger its easy. Some of the shade tree mechanics need to be forced to sit only under the tree and not touch tools.

2. make since ?Don't burry the flowernut just get it started and release the clutch lever and see where you are then keep turning it in until when you test it it'll not slip? Did that sound right?

3.what else can I do to confuse you and me?

Attachments

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas

part 7

You don't need to remove the small gear to adjust the clutch I did it just to show how to remove the gear. Leave the small gear on to adjust the clutch.If the big gear and the small gear will spin and the clutch lever is let out and the engine will not spin but like I said all the rest of the stuff is spinning, the little woodruff key has bit the dust and now you will know how to remove the small gear to fix it. To get under the driven parts which I've not done yet remove the nut that holds the driven parts and then you are on your own.

Ok put the gear back on and use a hammer type impact wrench like I did in the beginning ( $6.00 @ harber freight) to put the screw back on and you need to make sure the woodruff key was in place which you can seat it in its slot with a (BRASS punch) so you don't mushroom the key. There is a locking star washer under the screw to lock it in place so you should not need any loctite but if you've just got to do a little booger and not a big snotty wadd.
Rufus says don't forget the little dab of grease to lube the gears and don't over do it. Put the cover on with a gasket and go ride.Woops! Ruf said to check the operation out of the clutch before you button it up for good but to play it safe put the cover on with 2 screws to test as Rufus hates it when his tail gets in moving parts. He sure as heck will turn loose the flying monkees if he get his tail hurt and that really scares me.
THE END

Attachments

Reactions: matisse
Status
Not open for further replies.