Springer front end issue

GoldenMotor.com

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
So I just got my bike today and went to install the front wheel and the springer curved bars seem bent. I don't know if I'm doing it right and I'm having a problem uploading pics from my phone.

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
find a picture of the type of forks you have and link that if you cannot get a photo to upload, at least then we will have something to go from.

also from what I've gathered Monark is considered a good option for springer forks (link on the sidebar) but if you managed to bend a part you should be able to bend it back, but chances are you wouldn't be able to bend it, most springer forks I've seen are solid metal. the forks probably had that bend to begin with (lots of compound curved parts on most springers I've seen) you should be able to tell if the bend is supposed to be there by checking to see if it's a symmetrical feature, if both sides have the same bend it is supposed to be there.
and finally there is usually some tension in the whole fork once it is assembled, so you may have to force the parts into place to allow the wheel to go in (depending on what type of fork you have, this may or may not apply)

good luck with the bike, and try using paint to re-size the pictures (right click on the file and hit edit, assuming you are using windows. once you have the image in Paint click on 're-size' under the image tab (might be under edit depending on versions) a dialog window will pop up, make sure 'pixels' is checked then change either the height or width to a value that will upload (these sizes are listed in the window that opens when you click on 'manage attachments' in the forums) as long as the larger value is within the limits, the smaller value will be okay.)

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
I called the place I ordered the bike from and they said they'll get me a replacement fork so now I have to wait for that. I've had issues from day one but I know in the end it'll be a great bike.

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
I took mine apart and when I lay the two bent bars side by side they don't match up so I know for sure that it's not right. But while I'm waiting for that I can install my motor at least.

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
I wouldn't recommend those type of springer forks for motorized bicycle applications. They are to flimsy in my opinion and have alot of side to side play while riding.
Monarch forks are a stronger option and look better

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
well good on the vendor for sending a replacement to you.
these bikes can be a bit of trouble, but once you get it up and running it'll be worth it.

good luck! keep truckin!

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
I wouldn't recommend those type of springer forks for motorized bicycle applications. They are to flimsy in my opinion and have alot of side to side play while riding.
I agree, I purchased a set of those forks a while ago and was so horrified at their flimsy design and lack of proper pivot bushings that I never used them.

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
Yes the arms were bent and I got my replacement in and everything was a ok. Just one of them things with getting a bike shipped in the mail. At least the company took care of me.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Keep a eye on the bolts and nuts some of the members here have replaced them with nylock nuts and made other changes. I have seen one member put some X braises on the main tubs,under the pivot........................Curt

BOYGOFAST

Sep 28, 2013
Citrus Springs Fl.
Here's a picture of a new trek air suspension I've got a Springer as well and your's looks fine.Of the all choices if you are less than 200 lbs. both work well over than the air shock seems to carry my body weight well but the trek is not an expensive front fork not really much stronger than the Springer.https:youtu.be/ULbfdohslg

Last edited:

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
It has nylon locks on the bars at the top by the spring but I may add some loctite. Should you use the lock washers on the bottom that go into a hole? Mine don't have the hole but that's an easy fix if it's needed.

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocho ninja View Post
I agree, I purchased a set of those forks a while ago and was so horrified at their flimsy design and lack of proper pivot bushings that I never used them.
What is being described here is the fact that these style forks have no bushings at the pivot points.
Just a hole drilled through a flattened tube with a bolt or stud through it.
This will lead to instability once the tube starts to saw through the stud / through bolt.
Or when the hole starts to enlarge due to wear. Or both.
Repeated tightening of the studs and or bolts just crushes the tubes even more resulting in an even more unsafe condition.
They suffer from extreme death wobble caused by the loose design.
I highly recommend not running them . Rather get a set of forks that at the very least are capable of running a front brake........

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Yes that is for sure. I have two of them NOS one Schwinn and one Monark its unbelievable how much heavier they are compared to these new ones............Curt

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
I'm afraid that all of the washers in the world can't help these forks....
A nice set of bronze bushings machined to fit the pivot points sure would.
But then there is the braking issue.....