Say Hello to Storm

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Biknut, what is the warranty on the $499 + $194 shipping Storm ebike you bought?
Did you buy an extra battery for $179?
I'm assuming there's no warranty since they didn't mention one. That's a gamble for sure, but I don't really care. If anything's wrong with it, I'll fix it myself which I'd probably do anyway. I'll be surprised if they don't honor some kind of warranty though if they really expect to be a player in the future.

The shipping isn't $194. They clearly said up front that was a maximum possible amount depending on demand. They sent me an email the first night informing me that because of the huge response shipping would be much less than $194, and the exact amount was still dropping. I guess it'll be closer to $100 or less. You'll be able to pick yours up in person, but I wonder if you'll have to pay sales tax?

I didn't buy any extras. I prefer to build my own larger capacity battery, and I like to customize all my bikes myself, which partially explains my lack of concern for a warranty.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
When I got up this morning they had taken in $250,000 from one day. Now on the second day just before midnight they've taken in another half million, for a total of $771,223. There's still about 30 days to go.
It's now the morning of the third day of the launch, and at this minute funding stands at 1.3 million. All I can say is WOW. This is electric bike history in the making.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/storm-electric-bike

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
This is a entry level eZip for $700. Lead Acid battery, 15 mph top speed.

Which bike would you buy?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I ran around on a Chinese 250watt kit with SLAs for ages; - it did all I wanted :)

Something like that eZip might be fine for a lot of people who are looking for cheap transport.
I'm not surprised to hear you say this. I've actually met a couple of people riding these bikes around Dallas in the last year, and both of them spoke highly of them. One person commutes over 20 miles round trip, and I could tell by looking his bike was getting a lot of use.

I'm not knocking that bike, but just pointing out that even though it's low priced, they're not exactly selling like hot cakes.

Something else is going on with this Storm phenomena besides just a low price. I'm pretty sure there's never been anything like this in eBike history. Maybe just lucky timing has caused a perfect Storm. lol sorry no pun intended

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
I could have swore it said hydraulic disc brakes yesterday. I must have been seeing things. It seems to me the main selling point besides the low price is the battery cover plate. It doesn't look like a very good ebike to me at all. I didn't like the ezips either even when they were giving them away at $299 a few years ago. But holy cow they raised almost two million in a couple days. Talk about timing! Most people don't realize how much the prices have dropped on fat bikes and lithium batteries in the last year. If it had a 500w motor, 20ah, pedal assist, lcd display, 7speed, fenders, and front and rear racks I might get one.

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
yeah, hope for your sake its not a cheap dud. You know, you can get a 36v350w kit plus 36v10ah lithium battery from vpower pretty cheap too. $427 to be exact. And walter Marty has fat bikes for sale $150-$200. Both with free shipping. Seems to me like your getting what you pay for.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
yeah, hope for your sake its not a cheap dud. You know, you can get a 36v350w kit plus 36v10ah lithium battery from vpower pretty cheap too. $427 to be exact. And walter Marty has fat bikes for sale $150-$200. Both with free shipping. Seems to me like your getting what you pay for.
I agree you're only getting about what you pay for. A cheap eBike. But this bike has pizazz. It has a kind of "it" factor that you can't easily copy. A big part on the appeal is the frame enclosure. That won't be easy to duplicate.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I could have swore it said hydraulic disc brakes yesterday.
Yeah, the main dude Storm Sonders had been saying that on video cause
he is too stupid to know that the bike has cable pull brakes.
I guess the comments got them to quietly say that it ain't so.

Storm is generating a bit of a storm about their hyped up claims.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/a-500-ebike-not-so-fast-110086504619.html

And of course there is no local pick up in Los Angeles because Storm is padding
the shipping with a lot of profit for them.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Yeah, the main dude Storm Sonders had been saying that on video cause
he is too stupid to know that the bike has cable pull brakes.
I guess the comments got them to quietly say that it ain't so.
I'm sure glad I'm not so stupid that all I could make was $2,200,000 today. I'd hate to be that dumb.

dance1

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I'm sure glad I'm not so stupid that all I could make was $2,200,000 today. I'd hate to be that dumb.
If Storm made $2,200,000 "today?" then I guess they aren't delivering the ebikes and just pocketing the money?

Anyone considering "investing" with Storm really should read this article.

It's getting a little stormy in the comments on Indiegogo too.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/storm-electric-bike#comments

Storm deleted All the user posts made to it's facebook page and blocked
anyone from adding their own post to the page.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
If Storm made $2,200,000 "today?" then I guess they aren't delivering the ebikes and just pocketing the money?

Anyone considering "investing" with Storm really should read this article.

It's getting a little stormy in the comments on Indiegogo too.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/storm-electric-bike#comments

Storm deleted All the user posts made to it's facebook page and blocked
anyone from adding their own post to the page.
What kind of annoying stuff were you posting that made them unfriend you?

The page looks fine to me.