53mph Raptor Build

GoldenMotor.com

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
The geometry does look similar to mine, but could different enough for you needing a heavier spring. I have the option to install 3 different shock lengths on my frame. The bike manufacturer has a list of spring rates depending on the shock position, shock length and rider's weight. In my case it's around 400lbs with the 9.5"x3" shock for offroad use. I had a heavier spring before and wasn't good with the bike seat vs when I had the moto seat installed. I use lighter springs for onroad use. The Titanium spring behaves the fastest on higher speed runs.
That 750lbs sounds a bit much for you.

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
Scored me a Manitou cheapy 10.5"x3.5" shock. Used a 300lbs vs the 400lbs spring on the 9.5" x 3.0" shock. Pedals just as nice on my way to work. I haven't gone off road yet.

It's the last shock on the right.

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
Stayed the same really. You can run 3 different shock lengths on my bike, while keeping the ride height the same.
But if you want to raise it up a bit, you can mount the shock in a different mounting point. By doing so, the geometry changes and I don't like it much with the bike seat. It's not bad with the moto seat installed.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I just dropped my forks 1 inch in the trees to lower it a little. I don't really need all the ground clearance since I ride the street.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
How is your pedal clearance after you dropped the forks?
It's still about as high as most bikes. The pedals were way high stock. I've gone about 100 miles with it set up this way, and I'm liking everything about it. I always thought my bike would be better lowered. I think the stock geometry is a little too conservative. It might make sense if you're racing down a mountain side, but I never am. If I could lose another 1/2 inch in the back, I'd drop the front another 1/2 inch too.

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
You can order some offset shock bushings to lower the rear without going with a shorter shock, springs or messing with shock mounts.

After riding in to work this morning, I have decided to change the shock oil to the medium weight. Just submitted my order for Torco oil through Amazon. Hopefully my seals don't need replacing and save a little bit of money.

Torco T820007CE RSF Medium Racing Shock Fluid
http://www.torcousa.com/torco_product/rsf.html

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
Only update I have on my bike is a new battery power configuration that I'm going too. I barely go 40mph, so I'm dropping my voltage and going with 18s3p 5000mah lipo. Also swapping over to Powerpole connectors for ease changing voltage configuration.

Sorry for the bad phone pics.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Looking good. Full Suspension builds have been among my favorites. They just spoil me with comfort.
This bike beyond a doubt goes up to one of my all time favorites. Don't know prolly should have looked at what has been said? What Is the price tag for that thing?

The frame everything just fits! That is hard to do. It looks like the whole bike is CNC milled! I gotta look back through this thread and read it I know!

I saw the collection of shocks you got there. If'en ya got a 900 pounder in about 9 inches of travel you don't want? Or mebbe a suggestion? The price came down by now on these buggers would be kewl? Had not looked in a long while and thought some stuff was going obsolete? Everything you got there looks very familiar.

I looked a time ago and did not find my specific mount or something can't remember? I would have to look up what I got again to even figure it out. No biggie and don't gotta say nuttun. Was busy drooling at the picture of all those shocksrotfl:D

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
Went riding the Raptor a bit today. Was hard on throttle most of the time.

75.6C Controller, heatsinked to chassis. After 10 minutes of rest, case temp dropped to 55C.
67.2V, 10.8A used @ 18.4 miles.
49.4 Wh/mi, 7773.8Wh.
4.1% Regen.
Motor at 143F.
91.52 Amax, 65V min, -22.9 Amin.
54mph Max. Max throttle set at 115%.
Battery 101F max.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Snellenmin, do you ride on the street much, and if you do, do the police leave you alone?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Cops leave me alone. They haven't bothered me yet with this bike and neither with my other bikes. Do they bug you?
No, I've never been hassled once, even though I've ridden upon several patrol cars unexpectedly going over 40 mph, but nothing happened. It usually freaks me out a little so I slow down, and pedal.

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
So I went back to the 203mm rotors. I'll be changing the front caliper to Marta FR one of these days, which is slightly bigger and uses the same brake pads. I used my poor man machining skills and trimmed up the rear brake caliper by a few millimeters. It fits nicely after some filing and sanding. Now I can clear the rotor with the 5 speed freewheel installed.

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
Reprogrammed the controller to 200A phase and 91A battery current. Tweaked the throttle setting in the CA and now have a nice smooth powerful setup that rides very nice on the streets. CA recorded a peak of 99.7A @ 69.4V. 9.2HP is not bad at all for the streets. My other programmed settings for offroad use has a limit of 11HP. But I would feel better if I had a smaller diameter moto rim when using that type of HP.