Filling out a reg 230 CA DMV Motorized bicycle application

GoldenMotor.com

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
if you can find the serial number under all the paint, sand the paint off and use it.

if not, you can buy a metal stamp kit for a coupla bucks from harbor frieght or somewhere, and punch in your own made up number.

Toothy

Mar 25, 2014
San Diego
Thanks.....how many numbers are we talking about or does it matter?
Edit...found it under crank area. No numbers on engine though.

Last edited:

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
$20
Would hate to see the DMV get underpaid.
Don't know when it's going up to $21.
Thats right, Wouldn't want DMV to lose any of their BILLIONS in profit. LOL
I wunder how badly they need that dollar I owe them? I dont think they will declare bankrupcy over it. But every little bit helps.
fatdaddy.usflg

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I'm trying to fill out the ca reg form and don't know what to put in the Make and Model area.

Anyone know what to put there or do I Leave them blank?

My bike is a Schwinn Point beach cruiser, and my engine is from here:

http://venicemotorbikes.com/shop/?product=66cc-80cc-black-2-stroke-bicycle-engine-kit.
You already answered two of the questions, Make and model. Make is Schwinn, model is Point beach. As far as the engine numbers go. I get close to the frame numbers and scribe them into the engine case. If the frame # is 000001 Then I just put a 000001E. E for engine. The frame number is, or should be under the pedal crankset. Take the last 6 or 8 numbers from that and put a E after it, print it on the form get yer $19 money order and send it to them. Make sure to check all boxes YES. I'm doing one right now for my three wheel recumbent. So I'm making up all kinds of names for make and model, seeing how it's all homebuilt, Schwinn or Huffy had NOTHING to do with this one. An old gocart frame married to a goped with pedals added to make it street legal. I call her TRI-BABY.
fatdaddy.usflg

NeilJams

Apr 26, 2015
California
I thought I had to put the engine name or something in the Model or Make section. On another thread someone put like Roadster/Grubee and it worked, but I don't know what the name of my engine kit is.

I hope using Schwinn and Point beach are suffice enough though. Thanks fatdaddy.

NeilJams

Apr 26, 2015
California
You already answered two of the questions, Make and model. Make is Schwinn, model is Point beach. As far as the engine numbers go. I get close to the frame numbers and scribe them into the engine case. If the frame # is 000001 Then I just put a 000001E. E for engine. The frame number is, or should be under the pedal crankset. Take the last 6 or 8 numbers from that and put a E after it, print it on the form get yer $19 money order and send it to them. Make sure to check all boxes YES. I'm doing one right now for my three wheel recumbent. So I'm making up all kinds of names for make and model, seeing how it's all homebuilt, Schwinn or Huffy had NOTHING to do with this one. An old gocart frame married to a goped with pedals added to make it street legal. I call her TRI-BABY.
fatdaddy.usflg
By homebuilt recumbent, do you mean you slapped an engine and wheels onto a Lay-Z-Boy recliner..hehehe!

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I thought I had to put the engine name or something in the Model or Make section. On another thread someone put like Roadster/Grubee and it worked, but I don't know what the name of my engine kit is.

I hope using Schwinn and Point beach are suffice enough though. Thanks fatdaddy.
I registered my 2 wheeler as a Huffy Cranbrook. I made up engine numbers, sent in my money and got my plate in about 2 weeks. All they really care about is the money. Your make is Schwinn, your model is Point. If ya want, get a numbers punch set and punch numbers on the engine. I used my birthday numbers 1254F (frame) and 1254E (engine) for my recumbent build. They don't care what the numbers are, just try to get them on the bike and engine to match the paperwork.
fatdaddy.usflg

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
By homebuilt recumbent, do you mean you slapped an engine and wheels onto a Lay-Z-Boy recliner..hehehe!
Not a bad idea Neil. Next time. Do ya think a 212 pred would push a lay-z-boy around? If ya wanna see it just take a quick look in MY ALBUM. I've built a couple three wheelers, one I called The Widowmaker, A 26" frame Fat tire chopper build. I sold that one but you can see it in MY ALBUM also. The one I'll probably never sell is TRI-BABY. It's just too comfy a ride for this old man. Its kinda nice sitting in a chair at 30mph. But like most three wheelers ya cant take a sharp turn.
fatdaddy.usflg

NeilJams

Apr 26, 2015
California
lol, I think that would make a Lay-z-boy fly if you put wings on it. Try not to fall asleep though, unless you got auto pilot. Just make sure it has plates in case a CHP chopper flys by you.

NeilJams

Apr 26, 2015
California
Well that went well, fast. I got my license plate today. I'm so stoked. Now to put my bike back together and I'll be riding legal in no time. .flg.