Which electric bike for a small mountain?

GoldenMotor.com

mifletz

Aug 25, 2009
israel
I live on a small mountain with lots of 100 metre-long 30 degree slopes, up and down.

I do not require long range or high speed.

I require 30 degree-slope climbing assistance, the ability to freewheel, and the ability to pedal with zero-drag and cogging, or to easily disconnect the motor from the wheel.

I can contribute 500W of leg power.

What not too heavy electric bike would you recommend: hub, geared hub, roller-drive, mid-drive, front or rear, 250, 500, 750, or 1000W, 36V or 48V?

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Last edited:

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
He doesn't mention having a current bike. He said he wants an electric bike to help get up hill and freewheel down hill. mini gear hub motor does that.

mifletz

Aug 25, 2009
israel
Unfortunately Israeli customs are eagle-eyed and zealous at stopping any kits and anything above 250W. You wouldn't believe the price just for a 1000W motor alone from a registered importer 'for off-road use only'.

If a 750W geared hub motor is used up a steep slope, is there any real difference whether it is on the front or rear wheel?

Last edited:

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
well if its on the front and you peddle too then you have all wheel drive. Seems to me two wheels is better than one.

ajoh

Mar 21, 2014
australia
try to go mid-drive setup, i started with a 1000w hub an it was nothing but a disappointment it was slow an gutless the smallest hill (think ant hill) an it slowed to a crawl even having to get off an push the bike up hill due to extra drag created by the hub making it hard to peddle

i soon swapped it out for a mid-drive same thing as sick-bike-parts kit 48v 1200w
an haven't been happier, hills no matter how steep are no longer an issue

my advice is ignore hub motors all together an go for a mid-drive as for the "legal"
stuff well in australia i'm restricted to 250w however with NO markings stating
power output anyone that asks has to take my word that it's "only" "250w" (haha)

i limit myself to 30-35kph this keeps me somewhat safe in that i'm not going fast
enough that cops stop me an people don't report me

either way i say go mid-drive!!

Last edited:

ajoh

Mar 21, 2014
australia
How much drag is there from the mid-drive when the power is totally off and one pedals normally?
as Pablo said you can feel it but it's not to bad to be honest, i've done 65km trips with my two 48v 25ah batteries (that's 50ah) without the need of peddling
however i fake it just in case police come along (haha) meaning i peddle but without any load...........

seriously though you can't beat a good mid-drive setup like sickbikeparts kits
an go for a 48volt kit at around 1000w with SBP's heat sink unless you can make your own as i did, to draw heat out of the motor.........

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
You should go with a mid drive. I have a mp3 and if I go up a hill that's too steep and long, my hub over heats and shuts down. After it cools, it's fine. If Sik came out with their kits soon, I'd have on on my bike. Even with regulations, you can always say it's only a 250-350 watt set up. They'll never know.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
You should go with a mid drive. I have a mp3 and if I go up a hill that's too steep and long, my hub over heats and shuts down. After it cools, it's fine. If Sik came out with their kits soon, I'd have on on my bike. Even with regulations, you can always say it's only a 250-350 watt set up. They'll never know.

Not sure who you mean by sik:confused: Sick Bike Parts has kits.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Not sure who you mean by sik:confused: Sick Bike Parts has kits.
Yes Pablo, I was referring to your kit. My tablet is pretty lame whenit comes to the auto correct.
Seeing CCC aka Jeff's build with your 48 volt mid drive makes me want one. Mp3s are good on long flat roads but I want something that's going to make it up a long steep hill (4+ miles) without overheating or not make the bike rear heavy for the dirt trails.