A Battery switch to instantly switch between series and parallel?

GoldenMotor.com

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Anybody know of an electrical switch to switch two banks of batteries from series to parallel or vice versa, instantly? I want to be able to have instant extended range or instant high speed by simply flipping a Parallel/Series Switch. Is it even possible?

Don't all pile on here at once now.

I'm looking for a simple DC switch/relay rated to at least 60A and 110V. I know..... it's a lot of watts. LOL

Last edited:

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I've never come across a single switch that would do that. But I haven't looked for one, either.

I'll bet it could be done pretty easily with two switches and just a bit of wiring. When I get a chance, probably within a day or so, I'll try to draw up a simple diagram. I'll come back and post it here.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
I've never come across a single switch that would do that. But I haven't looked for one, either.

I'll bet it could be done pretty easily with two switches and just a bit of wiring. When I get a chance, probably within a day or so, I'll try to draw up a simple diagram. I'll come back and post it here.
Thanks. Have you seen anything like this switch here?

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
You need a 3 pole double throw switch.
On any electric vehicle with more than 1 battery bank, this switch should be standard equipment. It's simply too important not to have it. If this switch doesn't already exist then someone needs to invent it, purpose made, compact and all-weather, to do exactly that.

Specific driving situations requiring either series or parallel wiring are going to occur no matter where you live, no matter the terrain, no matter the amount of stop and goes, or individual driving habits.

At the flip of that switch, depending on which direct you flip it, you could go 30mph for 50 miles or 50mph for 30 miles.

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
At the very bottom of this page is a Yacht Bow Thruster Parallel/Series switch rated at 48V and 1500A Intermittent Duty. It's so expensive they won't even show the price for it. All I need 60A and 110V Continuous Duty.

http://www.texasindustrialelectric.com/relays.asp

Nothing I need ever already exists or does exactly what I need it to do, when I want it or need it to. Sigh.

I have a feeling that I'm gonna have to make a collect call to China. LOL

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
a series -parallel reay is available in the automotive industry,but only 12-24 volts
used on heavy truck starting systems.

i have been toying around with 6/12 volt switch but havent reached my goal yet.its for starting an 85 year old car that is tough to start with 6 volts

Tool Maker

Oct 28, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
a series -parallel reay is available in the automotive industry,but only 12-24 volts
used on heavy truck starting systems.

i have been toying around with 6/12 volt switch but havent reached my goal yet.its for starting an 85 year old car that is tough to start with 6 volts
I would be careful about that. Parts for a 1928 anything are getting expensive. I drove a 1932 Chevrolet for a few years, and the 6v system worked ok as long as everything was in good shape.

Decades ago there was a 6/12 switch for starting Called an Orphin Switch. It only applied 12v to the starter motor itself. I have not seen one for sale in a long time.

In northern Colorado (not quite as cold as Winnipeg) I used an 8v battery conversion on my 6v tractors. It is not as hard on the starter motor, and the generator can be tweaked to keep it charged. It would start right up at-20f

So what is this 1928 vehicle? Pics?

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Anybody know of an electrical switch to switch two banks of batteries from series to parallel or vice versa, instantly? I want to be able to have instant extended range or instant high speed by simply flipping a Parallel/Series Switch. Is it even possible?
I know most newer electric motors will take 24-48V input but what controller are you using that doesn't at least need to be re-programmed if not hard wired to set a different input voltage?

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
I know most newer electric motors will take 24-48V input but what controller are you using that doesn't at least need to be re-programmed if not hard wired to set a different input voltage?
If the voltage range falls anywhere within the controllers specs then I should be good to go right?

I was contemplating a Kelly KBL96251, 24-96V, 250A, BLDC Controller/With Regen

•Motor Current Limit, 1 minute: 250A.
•Motor Current Limit, continuous: 100A.
•Max Battery Current : Configurable.

http://kellycontroller.com/kbl9625124-96v250abldc-controllerwith-regen-p-1123.html

Or this controller would also, do me just fine.

Kelly KHB12151, 24-120V, 150A, Opto BLDC Controller/With Regen

•Motor Current Limit, 1 minute: 150A.
•Motor Current Limit, continuous: 75A.
•Max Battery Current : Configurable.

http://kellycontroller.com/khb1215124-120v150aopto-bldc-controllerwith-regen-p-50.html

Last edited:

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
I would be careful about that. Parts for a 1928 anything are getting expensive. I drove a 1932 Chevrolet for a few years, and the 6v system worked ok as long as everything was in good shape.

Decades ago there was a 6/12 switch for starting Called an Orphin Switch. It only applied 12v to the starter motor itself. I have not seen one for sale in a long time.

In northern Colorado (not quite as cold as Winnipeg) I used an 8v battery conversion on my 6v tractors. It is not as hard on the starter motor, and the generator can be tweaked to keep it charged. It would start right up at-20f

So what is this 1928 vehicle? Pics?

Its a 1927 Studebaker Big Six.
there isnt a part available for anything.big long term project.

Tool Maker

Oct 28, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
Its a 1927 Studebaker Big Six.
there isnt a part available for anything.big long term project.
Oh, be very kind to that starter motor.

I had the best luck with 6v vehicles when I used a CDI ignition. a 6v car with a hot spark will start easily with the hand crank.

A points triggered CDI means a non-OEM box under the hood or on the frame, but the results are worth it.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Aside from the question of controller compatibility, usually this is easily resolved with relays... something to consider anyway ;)
Yeah you're right. I just wish it was already premade, purpose built, in a waterproof black box to handle mega watts and plug and play.

No more having to decide whether to wire battery banks in series or parallel. There will be times when your gonna need one and other times when you need the other.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Premade would be easier ofc, but I like playing with relays for some reason - simple & inexpensive there's a lot of options... I s'pose even the controller question could be bypassed by just having two post relay bank, though admittedly that wouldn't be as inexpensive lol

Indirectly related, but this is the small relay bank on my taddy that allows one light duty keyed switch to activate both the 12v & 36v systems (the one in the middle a flasher);

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXC3vDpBfuw

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Premade would be easier ofc, but I like playing with relays for some reason - simple & inexpensive there's a lot of options... I s'pose even the controller question could be bypassed by just having two post relay bank, though admittedly that wouldn't be as inexpensive lol

Indirectly related, but this is the small relay bank on my taddy that allows one light duty keyed switch to activate both the 12v & 36v systems (the one in the middle a flasher);

The ability to have a choice between series or parallel battery banks at the flip of a switch is priceless to any electric vehicle. I'm just shocked that they are impossible to find pre-built, online, for any type of electric vehicle. Even though it could be done with heavy duty automotive type relays.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
It would be an interesting option for sure, but I think what happens in common practice is either it (electric vehicle) is built for efficiency over preformance or if there's preformance, the operator exercising some throttle control...

Admittedly, the latter may be easier said then done lol

The only commonplace application I can think of that had series/parallel switching like this (& additional variations) were the early electrics, before advanced controllers & when we only had wasteful rheostat type throttles... like Elco in the late 1800s - early 1900s & etc.

I could be wrong, but I think that's why we developed the Hall effect sensor throttle...

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
It would be an interesting option for sure, but I think what happens in common practice is either it (electric vehicle) is built for efficiency over preformance or if there's preformance, the operator exercising some throttle control...

Admittedly, the latter may be easier said then done lol

The only commonplace application I can think of that had series/parallel switching like this (& additional variations) were the early electrics, before advanced controllers & when we only had wasteful rheostat type throttles... like Elco in the late 1800s - early 1900s & etc.

I could be wrong, but I think that's why we developed the Hall effect sensor throttle...
I don't want to have to choose efficiency over performance or vice versa, unless it's at the throw of a switch, that I can switch back and forth at will.

You know more than me on this subject for sure. I only know what I want and need and then I go on a wild goose from one corner of the internet to the other trying to find it. It never fails though, I can never find what I'm looking for in a pre-made ready-to-go package that I can simply and easily install and be done with it. LOL

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles

That's quite the handy work on that pc board with fuses on it for sure. I need to have something to physically look at to make something like that work. It's not one of my strong points at all. LOL