Harbor Freight auger Help needed

GoldenMotor.com

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
Thanks.......for some reason, I keep breaking clutch springs with my thatsdax friction drive unit. The only thing i see different then from what I am doing is that you are using two washers and i am only using one. It will run for about 20 minutes and then I will hear a spring break.

Any ideas why this is happening? (sorry about hijacking the thread)

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Try adjusting your engine to friction drive channel spacing is 7/8" (0.875")
Add washers, or get new spacers.

I use 7/8 spacers and bolts (No DAX hardware) and have used the Harbor Freight auger engine, Harbor Freight water pump engine, Robin/Subaru EH035, Tanaka PF-4000 and Honda GX-31 on my friction drives with no problems.

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean when you say "adjust my engine to friction drive channel spacing"? I've tried adjusting the spacing with washers so that a small amount of the centrifugal clutch was outside of the clutch drum and I've tried it with the clutch almost touching the inner surface of the clutch bellhousing.

Either way, I break clutch springs. I do agree with your replacing the stock bolts as they aren't very good quality......I snapped all 4 mounting bolts starting up the motor.

I pulled on the starter cord and the motor broke right off of the FD unit. Never had anything like that ever happen before.

BillyShears

Jul 17, 2011
tomball texas
I went to Ace hardware and bought 4 -6mm x1.00 x 35 recommended by romell
and used the 3/4 spacers Dax includes, I then added the 2 flat washers to the
spacer to create the 7/8 space, that once again rohmell recommended and it seems to work just fine......I am using the HF auger 52cc motor it's a monster for torque..What's your engine?

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
Right now I am running one of thatdaxs's 4 stroke motors. Lots of torque way down low in the power range just how I like it :)

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
The space between the engine and the u-channel should be 7/8"
The spacers supplied by the BMP kit accomplishes this alone, but with the DAX kit, you have to add washers to the 3/4" spacers to get the 7/8" spacing (adjusting the spacing).
Are you getting the replacement clutch springs for the same source? Maybe you should try OEM Honda springs.

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
Oh.......maybe I had the spacing wrong?

Right now I am running a Staton FD unit......next time I put my Dax unit on my spare bike I will make sure I am at 7/8 with the spacers and washers.

Where would I purchase Honda springs? I have been getting springs from thatsdax......thank you *very* much for your assistance.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
I don't know about anything about Staton's FD unit, I don't know the proper spacing for that unit.

But the DAX and BMP FD units like the 7/8" spacing, never had any trouble with them.

The DAX engine is a copy of a Honda, I believe. I don't know which model of Honda exactly, GX50 or something like that?
Any Honda small engine dealer should be able to get you the springs, or look here:
Honda Engines - Small Engine Models, Manuals, Parts, & Resources

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
A lot can depend on the drum you use. The clutch nuts on mine extend past
the face of the engine, which was okay with the original drum, but when I went
to a different drum I ended up having to use 1" spacers. I ran into a similar
problem with different channels as well.