Any one know laws on North Vancouver, BC

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Kolton545. A gas motor on a bicycle is not legal anywhere in Canada on the street. That's a federal law.

Electric only up to 500 watts. Look up ICBC web site.

Get caught and your on an unlicenced, uninsured, unregistered motor vehicle.

The good news is they have to catch you first.

Private property your good to go.

Look up the archives on this site. It's been well discussed and argued over.

Steve.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
The good news is ebikes have great pull believe it or not... The bad news is the range on affordable batteries is awful... Someday they may get the price of the batteries down or gasoline may get so expensive that the price of those batteries looks much better.

rjcullis

Dec 28, 2010
british columbia
I am in the process of licencing my 50 cc custom tricycle. I am working with the vehicle inspection people who are the ones that will tell ICBC that I am ok or not. I live on Salt Spring Island but have to have my tricycle inspected by a Motor Bike Inspection facility in Duncan on Vancouver Island. The rules are that any bicycle with any sort of gasoline powered engine must be inspected at a government inspection facility. The frame must be welded by a certified welder (that's a little treat that's not in the regulations but was made very clear to me...a bicycle frame will not pass). Since the vehicle is being inspected at a motorcycle facility it must pass all motorcycle requirements re. lighting, stopping, etc. sooo all your lights must be in place and they must all be DOT approved (a big hastle for me because I am building a rat rod but I will make it happen). If you want more details you can feel free to contact me. I was saddened when the government made motor cycle rules apply to engines less than 50 cc but I am determined to prove that a person can make one of our little wonders work within the law.

Yours, RJCullis

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hope it goes through. Do you have your trike built already?

It won't be licenced as a motorized bicycle because of the laws but it will most likley be a Limited Speed Motorcycle like a Moped if it has pedals and a motorcycle if it doesn't.
When you say a licenced welder do you mean any welder or one approved by the government to build motorcycle frames.
You may want to check this one out. A premade and approved motorcucle frame with a vin number is around the $3,00 dollar mark at least. A trike is often more.

Call I.C.B.C. and tell them what you want to do and see what they say. I did it when I wanted to build a gas powered bike and found out a whole load of problems. Your local agent should be able to tell you what's up or at least supply you with the right phone number to call.

It's not just the lighting but the brakes, wheels and tires that have to be D.O.T. approved as well as the frame and lighting. This is why I mentioned the approved frame builders. They have to be licenced by the government to build frames so they can supply vin numbers with the frames.

Remember B.C. follows Ottawa's guide lines.
If it was easy we'd all be doing it.

Hope it works out.

Steve.

hankmanpei

Mar 24, 2011
Maple Ridge B.C. Canada
Get a waver from the Queen
The ICBC puppetry with the RCMP and their fraudulent servers
I can’t stop thinking back to the late seventies when the local Island Gazette (Prince Edward Island) weekly newspaper ran a full page story about some tiny white mushrooms with little brown dots in the center that where popping up in the fields across the Island, the main topic was of the health issues and the LAWS that were being applied to the people in possession of Magic Mushrooms after the paper was released everyone knew big trouble was sure to follow, for those who had these mushrooms. Indeed it was comforting living in a world where one is aware of new laws and new things in general, unlike ICBC and their cash grabbing tactics, three years ago I see these motorized assisted bicycles going up and down the streets, and think hey what a cheap way to get around living on social assistance this would make a perfect way to carry out job searching and delivering resumes around in person, At this time there was no paper work for registering anything under 50cc. I checked it out with the Maple Ridge RCMP all I was told was that I still needed a helmet, and I was complemented on the nice job I did putting the bike together, Riding my motorized pedal bicycle home one night I’m pulled over by an RCMP officer and he starts reading me this printout from ICBC dated in March 2011 covering these motorized bicycles and the NEW RULES their applying to these units, apparently it seems someone in ICBC invested a lot of money in electric bicycles because if my bicycle had batteries instead of a fuel cell, the other officer who pulled up in his unmarked pick-up truck to assist the officer who was informing me this NEW information that my bicycle would not have been loaded in the back of the unmarked police truck and driven to Maple Ridge Towing by this moonlighting RCMP officer and for “ME” to spread the word (imagine that) , I say moonlighting RCMP officer mainly because three days after the seven day impound time passed I went to Maple Ridge Towing to see how much it was going to cost me to retrieve it and was told three hundred and forty dollars plus tax. I asked why so much and was told around $80.00 was for towing and the rest storage at a rate of $19.55. per day (for a bicycle!), I then asked how can you charge me for towing when a police officer delivered it, after a pause I was told that he “guess”’s the towing fee could be forfeited and if I could come up with $200. by five o’clock he’d release my bicycle. I left the towing company pretty upset at the whole issue just had me vibrating everything from ICBC’s lawmaking money grabbing tactic's to to RCMP’s dealing’s with fraudulent crooks, as today not only losing my bicycle my only means of transportation I receive a letter from Maple Ridge Towing stating that if I don’t deal with this bicycle that is registered to me by Nov.29 the matter will be sent to the collections and ICBC will suspend any dealings with me till this matter is paid, and the letter is also including the towing charges.Doing the math by the time I receive my support check and went homeless the amount would be greater than the check anyway . I’m not the smartest cookie in the box but at 52 years old and without a criminal record other than two impaired's 25 years ago I’m not the stupidest either. and if that Mountie wants to take my bicycle to the penalty box he can damn well use his” kick backs” and get it out, and to Maple Ridge Towing the only thing you’ll be collecting is karma!
So in total 1800.00 for the red giant,160.00 for the kit. 325.00 performance add-ons, and probobly a 1000.00 bill when i renew my lic. hope this answears byour question bud Hankman checking out ThrustPac - Empower Yourself yeah baby