Need help on legalities and specifics.

GoldenMotor.com

littleman456

Sep 10, 2009
Minnesota
Hi I'm turning 15 in April and over the winter I plan on building a motorized chopper bike as my transportation for next summer. I plan on using an XYZ 002 chopper and a motorized bike kit.

Now here are my questions about specifics:
What motor kit should I get? I want something powerful, durable, and very dependable.
Also would I need any special mounting kits or anything?
Is their a super quiet exhaust pipe on the market?

Here are some of my questions on legalities:
I will be 15 so In Mn I will have my Moped license.
Can I get a homemade Moped registered in Mn?
Do I need lights, turns signals etc.? and if so is their a kit?

Thanks,
Littleman

P.S. I have been building Go-peds, Go-karts, and Mini Bikes all my life but never anything that was to be ridden on the rode.

weegenc

Sep 18, 2010
Charlotte nc
What motor kit should I get? I want something powerful, durable, and very dependable.
(I use the grubee skyhawk 66cc engine with a CNC carb found on gasbike.net, after reading legal it will be better to get a 49cc or an electric kit.)
Also would I need any special mounting kits or anything?
(It looks to me like your pipes are giant on that bike so a mounting kit looks to be a must but i am not completely sure.)
Is their a super quiet exhaust pipe on the market?
(Any aftermarket exhaust will kill your ears. The stock will be your only good option. The quietest will be the electric of course. )

Here are some of my questions on legalities:
I will be 15 so In Mn I will have my Moped license.
Can I get a homemade Moped registered in Mn?
Do I need lights, turns signals etc.? and if so is their a kit?

(LAW IN MN - Did you know that? - MotoredBikes.com: Motorized Bicycle Forum)
This will answer all questions about the legal mumbo jumbo.
It looks to me like a 49cc unit will be your best bet to be classisifed as a moped. Any larger will be a motorcycle.
Your best bet is to get a electric kit in order to not be classified as a moped and then you wont need insurance.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
I have a Robin-Subaru EH035 4 cycle engine, and it is very quiet, even with its stock muffler compared to the 2 cycle engines and it is very reliable.
Perhaps you should search for a kit that would be able to use this type of engine. The GEBE and BMP kits come to mind.