on battery packs in general

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Basic understanding of the battery pack is fairly straight forward. The battery pack is made of up of a lot of batteries connected in series and parallel to form a package with the correct amount of voltage and amps needed for a specific task. In our case to provide power for an electric bicycle.

The two measures of power for your battery pack are volts and amps. They are inner related to give performance to a motor. Volts tend to effect speed and Amps tend to effect range. In theory you just need to match the volts and amps to the rating on your bike's motor. Some of us tend to push the envelope a bit, but that isn't what this is about.

Batteries and volts.....
Most classic batteries (lead acid, alkaline, carbon) produce 1.5 volts per cell. Most, of the modern cells (Nicad, Nimh, lithium) produce 1.2 volts. Voltage can be increased by stringing (connecting) cells in series to increase the required voltage. The series connection will increase volts, but not amps. So if your pack needs 36V and your cells are 1.2v you would divide big V by little v. In this case a pack made of modern materials would need 30 batteries to get the amp rating of a single battery but in 36v. You would need 25 of the more vintage cells to get 36V.

At this point let me say when you buy a lead acid battery, the cells are combine inside the battery case so it in effect is a battery pack. The same is true of your laptop and cell phone batteries. The basic construction of the battery pack is the same.

Batteries and amps....

So lets say we have combined 30 modern chemistry cells to get one 36v string and each cell is 10,000mah or 10 amh. So the pack reading would be 36v 10ah, Cool but not really enough ah for us. Heck we want to ride to the park to have a picnic now and then.

So we need more amps in our pack. Amps are increased by parallel connections. We just have to build more 36v strings and hook them together with a Parallel connection to increase the amps. Two strings of 10ah each would be 20ah... three strings of 10ah would be 30ah. To figure the number of batteries we need it is total AH needed by the ah of a single cell. or 30AH divided by 10ah equals 3 cells. So for a 36Vs and 30AHs in our pack we need 90cells all together.

Whether my project works or not the math and the practice is the same. The controversy is in the recharging properties of the battery pack. That remains to be seen. But this is about the basics of battery packs.

I do hope those who have a better knowledge of the subject join in on this.

Last edited:

jdcburg

Jul 9, 2009
massachusetts
Hi Deacon - I must quibble with one part of your otherwise good description:
Most, of the modern cells (Nicad, Nimh, lithium) produce 1.2 volts.
Lithium cells are 3.2 volts each. That's "nominal" voltage. In fact, they are considerably higher when charged correctly. I recently purchased 2 Thundersky lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) batteries http://elitepowersolutions.com/index.html that are sold as 12.8 volt 20 ah units. Each has 4 cells. Lithium batteries have special charging requirements so should be charged with a charger designed for Li batteries. After an initial charge, a 4 mile ride, another charge and sitting overnight, each cell this morning was 3.76-3.80 and the total voltage for the 2 packs in series was 30.2. Supposedly it takes several charge/discharge cycles for Li packs to reach full capacity. I will be keeping records and will report back, but my initial impression on my ebike with 24 V 350W brushed Unite motor is very favorable: more power and slightly more speed, but no apparent "sag" at the end of the ride like I was experiencing with my 12 ah SLAs. Also, the total weight of the 20ah Li batts is a little over 13lbs, where the lower capacity SLAs were 16 lbs - jd

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Good to know. I have never dealt with Lithium i was assuming they were the same so shame on me for doing that I know better. Thanks again,

I am going to correct the original post (not so that I wont appear ignorant) but some people might stop reading after that post and I would have given them the wrong information.

One thing, I'm not exactly sure of yet, is I think the battery pack for modern battery chemistry should be at least the operating amp of the motor you are using. I say this because I ran a 36v 10ah pack on my bike as a test and it ran like a pig. I will have a definitive answer when the rest of my batteries arrive,.

And weight and bulk are my main reasons for going Nimh over SLA.

Last edited:

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
What is the difference of the battery of the complete kit w/lith and the just lith. battery only is one weaker?