michigan motor bicycle law

GoldenMotor.com

Boomer

Jun 19, 2008
But, when you're out having fun on a nice summer day with friends you don't want to be hauled in and your bike taken and then have to try to fix the problem..
Do like I did, call your local Sheriff, City or Township Police and check with them, I also have a friend who works at the Secretary of State Office in licensing and she said no, her father-in-law also built a bike and has no problems. I think the only thing that might be required if at all might be eye protection and a pair of sunglasses would take care of that. In the town (Mattawan, MI) I live in the cops would ticket you for even looking crosseyed at a rock and I've had no problems.

katoomer

Jul 15, 2010
Rose City MI
Update: I finished installing a Staton rack mount on my tandem this morning. I found out this engine the PF-4000 is ear shattering loud. I wanted to test it anyhow. I live in a very small town. The engine is so loud I killed the motor as I cruised past the local police headquarters. I made a right turn down a side street in town. I figured I'd stay off the main drag through town while I'm testing it out anyhow.

I'm telling you I hadn't run the engine 5 minutes since I finished building it and had a police encounter !!! If the guy hadn't honked his horn, I might not have noticed him. When I had killed the engine and rode down that back street I stopped and got off the bike to restart the engine. I had just pulled the rip cord and fired the beast back up and heard the horn. I looked up and there is the town police !! Wow, what police coverage we have here ! I killed the engine in seconds. I won't be riding this in town anymore. Even in the country its too loud. Anyhow man, I thought I was keeping a careful watch on the maiden journey.

Doug

May 17, 2008
Metro Detroit
I have an old 50's bike, I registered it as a moped to get the decal and hopefully just avoid trouble. I didn't have to provide receipts or anything, but in my case I did say it was an old junk moped I restored.

I did get questions about where I got it and who I bought it from (garage sale, no idea). The lady didn't seem to buy it, but she issued me the registration and the decal. From here on out, I should just be able to renew. I didn't require any inspection or anything like that. I used my frame number as my VIN (they do a title search to see if it has been registered in the state before, so you have to come back once that is complete. I think it took a few hours).

dreadpiratesteve

Nov 5, 2010
East Lansing, Michigan
Hi,

In all likelihood I will be coming into contact with a bike with an 80cc motor very soon here. The seller swears up and down he's never had a problem with the fuzz, but that doesn't quite put me at ease. I prefer honesty, but how much would it suck(financially) to try registering this under motorcycle requirements?

cloud

Mar 19, 2011
USA - Michigan
Ok I live in Dowagiac Mi., I seen someone mention Paw Paw which is around 20 miles give or take.

the ppl here at the DMV, are really rude and telling me I need to have it inspected and everything.

Can I get it registered in Paw Paw even though I live in Dowagiac, or say hartford, or just some other town thats close?

I dont think theres any use in telling them or showing them the articles that are post cause I thk they have there mind made up about what there going to do.

anyone with experiece with this situation pls help, cause it sound like to me there just looking for a reason to not let me register it.

Oh the cops here are really not that laid back either, well a couple are but thats it.

Please Help!!! :-||

Godbless

fishyfish777

Sep 2, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
Hmm... Looks like I need some sort of a VIN number for my bike but I can't really find the serial number anywhere, only the date code. What do I do in this case?

brdl04

Aug 9, 2011
the D
Everyone on this thread is commenting from a podunk town in michigan.

I live in Detroit. I will tell you how it works in this fine city tomorrow.... :).bf.

waistofhumanspace

Jan 8, 2011
michigan
Having NO license in Michigan can keep you from operating ANY MOTORIZED VEHICLE, this includes EVERYTHING with a MOTOR ( Car,Truck, Motorcycle, Wheelchair, Bicycle, Lawnmower, Skateboard, Tractor,Golf cart, Segway, Scooter,Moped,ect.ect.) absolutely ANYTHING POWERED BY ANYTHING NON LIVING! Operating a motorized vehicle is a Privilege not an inalienable right, "get DRUNK, get STUPID, lose you driving PRIVLAGE!" DONT CRY,... LEARN!