The nimh battery build...

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I said all along I was on the right track,... I just didn't know it was a railroad track with an oncoming train. The pack shorted out today and burned all the wires up. LOL I will salvage it I'm sure.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
After all the ups and downs with this battery it looks as though I am pretty close to getting it right. The biggest problem with the cheap chinese batteries, I think, is that the amp hour rating is useless or worse depressing. I am never sure how many more batteries I need to make this work. With what I have now I think I am running over half throttle of an SLA pack.

Considering that the sla 12ah pack for my bike would be a hundred bucks give or take, adding a few more nimh to the pack at a time while the one I have still works makes sense.
I honestly believe ten, or so, more ah (mfg rating) should get the battery up to performance level. I have five more ah in the pipeline from china. I would like to get the performance up to sla levels then I can figure out what it takes to do that. Then I will have to begin looking at the range issue.

The controller I have is the heavy duty 24v from tnc. I run it at 36v so I could run it at anything in between. Thirty volts would be doable set up two 12v batteries then a six volt one. That would get me up to the 30amps with what I have coming in, but I really want to leave it at 36v so that in the meantime I can use it as a piggy back to my existing sla pack.

That being the case I will probably be working through the summer. If I was running a 25v hub motor I would most likely have more than enough energy now to run it.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I just finished resetting the battery pack to 24v and what I think is 30ahs. I am going to ri give it a shot tomorrow to see how it does. If it pulls like I think a 24v full power sla would, I will feel pretty confident. So lets see how it does tomorrow.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
What ever you do, do not build anything with the aa nimh batteries from china. I can't for the life of me figure out what the help they are doing. I am going to stay at it but it is a not a project I would ever recommend for anyone else.