Is there a trick to using a boost bottle?

GoldenMotor.com

scribling

Mar 31, 2014
Simi Valley
I tried to install a boost bottle, but the bike ran horribly. I used a custom intake with the nipple predrilled. The bike ran badly with this intake even with the boost nipple plugged.
A boost bottle is a closed system so it's must be like trying to blow air into a beer bottle - it can't be done, so how can it work?

Do you have to prime the bottle with gas or quickstart or something prior to installation?
How can the engine use extra air that it can't remove or replace?
Do I need to tune the carb differently to use a boost bottle?
Does it need to be run for a while before it starts actually working?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
It is supposed to work by creating a slight vacuum condition in the bottle on the intake stroke, then pulling in the excess fuel/air released before the next intake stroke - this is then fed back to the motor when the next intake stroke happens.

As far as the trick goes, it is my opinion that the trick was performed by the guy that got your money when you bought it : )

I only see a benefit in these for engines fitted with reed valves.

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
Now I finally understand exactly what a boost bottle is SUPPOSED to do. Never tried to use one, but my thought is, wouldn't a vacuum carb do the same thing, only better because it would actually work?

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Boost bottles are mostly just a gimmick as all they do is attempt to contain some of the blow back and release it on the next intake stroke... supposedly..... a longer intake tube on a piston port type engine will do the job better.
The most you'll feel out of a boost bottle really might be a smoother midrange... you'll get the best bang for the buck power wise by installing a decent expansion chambered pipe as far as bolt on mods go.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Here's a good trick to try. See if you can hit the trash can on your first throw when you toss that gimmick toward it. Then try it with that intake manifold.

They're a joke. Plain and simple. I hope you can get a refund, but that'll be another trick.

Tom

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I hate to say it but 2door is right... I can't blame people for buying stuff like this, but it really irritates me that somebody is making money off people who probably don't know any better by using all kinds of false claims about how it improves power and B.S. like that...

I'd ask the seller for a refund telling him it didn't make any difference or it ran worse, which it did, then use that money and get a decent pipe, you should be able to get a banana pipe with that amount and that'll give you a very noticeable increase in power... The longer intake manifold will be noticeable too, especially in the low end to low mid range. Either of those upgrades you'll notice it the first ride.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
Not totally useless, as they work well on race engines with reed valves when they're installed on the crankcase side of the valves - not much use on HT engines tho unless you also put in a reed valve system.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Not totally useless, as they work well on race engines with reed valves when they're installed on the crankcase side of the valves - not much use on HT engines tho unless you also put in a reed valve system.
The point being though is that isn't how they're marketed. They are sold as 'performance enhancers' which is false and the sellers are taking advantage of new comers to the hobby looking for more speed when all they have is a bone stock Chinese 2 stroke with probably an NT carburetor. Another case of 'buyer beware' I suppose.

Tom

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
False advertising???? Say it ain't so?!?!?!? What did P.T. Barnum say? Something about one being born every minute, wasn't it? We can't help how the sellers advertise. But we can offer advice and education to the newcomers, and then there will be (a few) less suckers out there. Perhaps someone could make a sticky out of what performance enhancements actually work, how good they work, and which ones don't work or are gimmicky. It won't save everyone from wasting their dinero, but it will save those who have the sense to come here and look around and ask questions first. Complaining about what the sellers do is impotent. If you care that much, take some action.

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Okay, when I first got my kit I got one of these things. It was very cheap ($15) and I didn't know any better. After I installed it I noticed no difference at all, but I still have it on my bike because, well, I had already drilled a hole in the intake and I should say, it's no worse than not having it. Am I sorry I paid money for it? Yes!! But it should run fine as long as you just make sure it has no air leaks.

Attachments

scribling

Mar 31, 2014
Simi Valley
Wow, rough crowd ... I tried it without destroying anything and I was given the bottle. So, can we stop ripping me a new A$$#ºle? The bike is back to normal and running well. If I hadn't tried I wouldn't have seen the gasket that disintegrated ... and I probably can return the intake.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Wow, rough crowd ... I tried it without destroying anything and I was given the bottle. So, can we stop ripping me a new A$$#ºle? The bike is back to normal and running well. If I hadn't tried I wouldn't have seen the gasket that disintegrated ... and I probably can return the intake.
LOL, you're right, we came down pretty hard on you. No offense, really. We're just a bunch of opinionated old cusses and go off on a tangent sometimes. Sorry.

Seriously, we're glad the bike is back up and running well for you. Keep an eye on that fitting you plugged to make sure it stays plugged. Good luck.

Tom