Does anybody recognize this engine?

GoldenMotor.com

redruM69

Feb 13, 2014
Utah
Hi guys, new here.
I recently acquired this little motor: Pics here

Its 36cc (Maybe 35cc), has a TK carb, reed inducted, magneto+points. The last 2 pics show a logo that is stamped on all the castings. I believe it to be an older Tanaka / TAS engine.

I contacted Mike Schneider of bikebug.net, as I heard he was a Tanaka expert. He said he believes it to be a "BX3" engine, manufactured before the Spitz. Other than that, he couldn't give me any info. I attempted to Google Tanaka BX3, in hopes to find at least a scrap of info, but came up empty handed.

Does anybody have any info?

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I'm going to throw a spanner in the works, and ask if it's not an older Kawasaki 2 stroke.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
It's reed valve, about 35cc, and made out of apparently good metal. It most resembles a minimoto engine, but is too old looking for that. The carb is not designed to work far outside the horizontal.

The question is, is it European, American or Japanese?

redruM69

Feb 13, 2014
Utah
It's reed valve, about 35cc, and made out of apparently good metal. It most resembles a minimoto engine, but is too old looking for that. The carb is not designed to work far outside the horizontal.

The question is, is it European, American or Japanese?
Its Japanese. Its stamped "JAPAN" on the bottom.

redruM69

Feb 13, 2014
Utah
Loors like it maybe a chainsaw motor to me.
Unlikely with the float style carb. It would be a saw that would only run upright. However, it is very possible it is a utility engine, such as a pump. Its unusual however as those engines are normally not reed inducted. The threaded crank also leads me to believe it had a centrifugal clutch.

I'd love to get it running, but need a source of parts. Somebody did a hack of a porting job on it, so the cylinder and piston are scuffed pretty bad. I'll have to overbore it and clean up the ports.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
Looks a little to good to be a utility motor?
I agree the carb would not suit a chainsaw that well.
It looks like it would suit a larger scale RC application nicely.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I'm going to throw Kawasaki out there as well. I've seen several old Kawi's with that rounded head style. Mostly lawn equipment.
Looks like a nice engine to play with! Nice find!

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
After a good search session, I'm not much closer to an answer, except it is the same crankcase reed pattern of Tecumseh, Clinton, West Bend in America in the early 1960s. It is possibly an engine off an auger, it's laid out like a Tanaka P-7, but with different finning.

I wish you luck.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I have one like that, seems to be tucumesh, but looks a little different. Mine was on a strieght shaft brush cutter. Ludwig pm me your email and i can send you some pictures,don't know how to post yet............Curt

redruM69

Feb 13, 2014
Utah
After a good search session, I'm not much closer to an answer, except it is the same crankcase reed pattern of Tecumseh, Clinton, West Bend in America in the early 1960s. It is possibly an engine off an auger, it's laid out like a Tanaka P-7, but with different finning.

I wish you luck.
Reed cage is 4 bolt like a clinton, but its quite a bit smaller. You are correct that it is similar looking to the P-7, but the P-7 has an external magneto. This one hides it under the crank behind a missing cover.

What about this logo?

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I have one like that, seems to be tucumesh, but looks a little different. Mine was on a strieght shaft brush cutter. Ludwig pm me your email and i can send you some pictures,don't know how to post yet............Curt
maxxengland(at)yahoo.co.uk

As we speak, I have unleashed the finest defectives on a hunt for the beast.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The A logo could be a foundry mark, or the logo of a casting supplier. It is mentally on file to be flagged if seen again.