Worksman M2600 or 1952 Road Master Frame for BTR Tribute?

GoldenMotor.com

KeithSeymour

Sep 23, 2013
Northern Virginia
Hey Guys!

I've been researching like crazy on what I'm going to use for my BTR tribute bike. Of course, I would love to go for a shopping spree at Sportsman Flyer and be done with it but my budget is limited. This is my first ever motor bike build but believe in doing things right the first time.

Here's my scenario:
I bought a 1952 Road Master frame and fork to use and found a good deal on another vintage bike for parts. Here's a pic of what I have so far in my build:

The next item on my list was some heavy duty wheels I'm planning on an all black build and was about to pee my pants when I found a black workman front and rear drums wheel set through craigslist. Further communication with the seller revealed that he bought him and his wife workman cycles and they have never ridden them. His wife's was complete but his lacked a few parts. Turns out that he had never actually put together his bike and when they moved lost the box of the missing parts!
Here's a pic of the M2600 with the black wheels.

When I went to go look at the wheels, I ended up buying both bikes for about $75 more than I budgeted for the wheels with the hopes of piecing together some stuff and selling what I don't need of the woman's worksman (which also has front and rear drums).

Here's my question: Should I use the Road Master or Worksman M2600 frame? If it was an INB, I wouldn't be asking the question because I like the looks of the bend in the top tube. On the other hand, I love the curve in the down tube on the road master. I'd love to modify the Worksman into a 4" stretch and loop lug style but don't have the expertise or welding skills.

Thoughts? Advice? Experience?

Btw, I know I can't use the rear drums with a left side sprocket (Thanks Sportscar Pat for clarifying) but will most likely use a shift kit and eventually upgrade the rear hub to a three speed. I plan on using the 49cc HS kit for this build.

Thanks in advance for your advice. You guys rock!

Keith

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
That's a no brainer question USE THE WORKSMAN ! and save the other while collecting parts for it, that particular Worksman frame would make a very unique & cool! styled BTR

KeithSeymour

Sep 23, 2013
Northern Virginia
Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm leaning toward the roadmaster. Any more opinions? Also trying to decide to keep the black wheels with a shift kit, sell the rear and buy a coaster brake wheel, or buy a 3speed hub cb and swap them and still get the shifter kit. Thoughts?

Bruce Lee

Dec 13, 2010
California
.xx.
Hey Guys!

I've been researching like crazy on what I'm going to use for my BTR tribute bike. Of course, I would love to go for a shopping spree at Sportsman Flyer and be done with it but my budget is limited. This is my first ever motor bike build but believe in doing things right the first time.

Here's my scenario:
I bought a 1952 Road Master frame and fork to use and found a good deal on another vintage bike for parts. Here's a pic of what I have so far in my build:

The next item on my list was some heavy duty wheels I'm planning on an all black build and was about to pee my pants when I found a black workman front and rear drums wheel set through craigslist. Further communication with the seller revealed that he bought him and his wife workman cycles and they have never ridden them. His wife's was complete but his lacked a few parts. Turns out that he had never actually put together his bike and when they moved lost the box of the missing parts!
Here's a pic of the M2600 with the black wheels.

When I went to go look at the wheels, I ended up buying both bikes for about $75 more than I budgeted for the wheels with the hopes of piecing together some stuff and selling what I don't need of the woman's worksman (which also has front and rear drums).

Here's my question: Should I use the Road Master or Worksman M2600 frame? If it was an INB, I wouldn't be asking the question because I like the looks of the bend in the top tube. On the other hand, I love the curve in the down tube on the road master. I'd love to modify the Worksman into a 4" stretch and loop lug style but don't have the expertise or welding skills.

Thoughts? Advice? Experience?

Btw, I know I can't use the rear drums with a left side sprocket (Thanks Sportscar Pat for clarifying) but will most likely use a shift kit and eventually upgrade the rear hub to a three speed. I plan on using the 49cc HS kit for this build.

Thanks in advance for your advice. You guys rock!

Keith
Hard to beat a SF 200

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I know very little about btr's but I know what I like.
Roadmaster if the motor will physically fit.

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
The Roadmaster can fit the 212cc without modifications. The front loop is so big it requires custom mounts to fit a kit engine.

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Roadmaster. It is a shocker to discover that fitting a 2 stroke china girl engine is not easy. I had to buy an offset intake manifold to squeeze the engine in.

I ended up scrapping that and cutting the front down tube in the Workman frame and replaced it with a vintage girls Sxhwinn front down tube which then gave decent room for fitting a Sachs motorcycle engine in place for my Indian Hiawatha tri-car.

Stock, there is little you can do with the Worksman frame.
SB

KeithSeymour

Sep 23, 2013
Northern Virginia
The Roadmaster can fit the 212cc without modifications. The front loop is so big it requires custom mounts to fit a kit engine.
I am eventually planning on upgrading to the 212 or at least a 79cc preddy but was strongly advised to get a kit first to gain experience since this is my first build. I'm 6'4" and 280 and was a little hesitant about a 49cc in the first place. Would you recommend starting with a 79cc or 212 first with my roadmaster?

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I know you're asking Slowbalt, but all of the racing guys warn me about jumping into the 212cc. For one it has a lot of torque and once you sart modifying the engine to make it safe for higher speeds, it can cost a lot of money.Then there's the question of whether or not the frame on the bike can handle it. It may need guessets or something so it doesn't come apart on you.

My opinion is you would be better off using the 79cc and removing the governor, replacing the carburetor and going from there. It is a powerful motor, yet no danger in pulling your frame apart.

With your size I think you will find the 49 on the wimpy side unless you want to do some pedaling and don't have much in hills to contend with.

Have fun, keep it safe.
SB

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
I have to agree with Silverbear. The kits do not fit into the roadmaster anyway. If you have to do a custom engine mount. You might as well go for the 79 cc.

Last edited:

KeithSeymour

Sep 23, 2013
Northern Virginia
What about the 49cc with a shift kit and 3 speed hub for my size and hills? Could I piece together what I need for a 79cc without a welder and for around the same price as a kit with shift kit?

KeithSeymour

Sep 23, 2013
Northern Virginia
Slowbalt you are amazing!! I have been searching for a simple list like this with not a whole lot of success for my scenario.

To answer your question, I have some significant hills around my house. I commute on my bicycle a good amount and couldn't live with a single speed cruiser for them. As far as speed, I can't go above 35MPH per Virginia State Law unless I want to register it as a motorcycle but that defeats the purpose.

A few questions:
1. As far as the mount, I've seen people mount it vertically on the seat tube with roll bar clamps. Would you recommend this for the Road Master? I noticed you have done a cradle style mount. What should I expect to pay for this if I made the stencil and took it to a machine shop to cut?

2. I noticed the link to the carb was for a 2 stroke. I think I saw you post something saying you can use them but just wanted to make sure this would work for the 79cc.

3. I have two almost brand new Worksman Chains. Could I use these instead of the #41 to save money? I'm guessing the Worksman would be in between the #415 and #41 in quality. Thoughts?

4. I think the only things missing from your list that I would need is a chain tensioner and a wide crank. Any particular you would recommend?

5. Could I use the stock attached gas tank from the predator until I get an in frame tank made? Would there be enough clearance on the Road Master to keep it on?

Adding up what you posted (minus the wheels since I already have some Worksmans) comes to $373 not including shipping for AGK and PirateCycles and without a mount tensioner, and wide cranks. This seems like a no brainer to me to go with the 79cc for around the same price as a 49cc Kit shipped ($400).

Sorry for all the questions but I'm trying to get everything priced out and don't want to waste time/money on wrong or unnecessary parts. I hope this helps others going down the same road. Thanks for all the help!

Keith

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
Sick bike parts has the wide crank. As for the chain. You need a #41 chain for the jackshaft. I don't use chain tensiometer. I just cut the chain so it fits tight. Once it stretches it will be perfect. Also for the mount. You can use two pieces of single iron and some steel plate and bolts to make one with no welding.

KeithSeymour

Sep 23, 2013
Northern Virginia
Sick bike parts has the wide crank. As for the chain. You need a #41 chain for the jackshaft. I don't use chain tensiometer. I just cut the chain so it fits tight. Once it stretches it will be perfect. Also for the mount. You can use two pieces of single iron and some steel plate and bolts to make one with no welding.
For the mount, did you mean angle iron? Is there a thread for a how to on here? I'm picturing bolting the angle iron on the ends of a plate then using u bolts through the angle iron and around the down tube and seat tube. Would that be right?