Monark 2 Forks on a 40's Schwinn

GoldenMotor.com

supercub

Nov 1, 2012
New London, CT
I am considering Monark 2 forks for my 40's Schwinn board track motorbike. It is a 24" wheel size frame. The head stem is 1" diameter and the frame stem tube is 5-1/2" long. Would the Monark work for this length? They state that the tube is 7-1/2" long with 2" of threads. They don't state the tube diameter. Also, I have a Sturmey Archer 100mm width front drum brake hub laced to a 19" moped rim and 2.25" width tires. The overall diameter of the wheel is 23". Would the hub it the fork gap of the Monark? I know I have to dog the drum to the axle mount plate.

Any good advise, thanks!!

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
You should be good with that set up the forks are 1inch, you will have to put (flip) the rockers on the outside of the forks for the hub clearance, I think they sell a bushing set for this. the stem length seems a little long but if there is extra you can double nut it or cut it. The only thing is maybe the width of the forks..the front set, I remember it being a little tight maybe 2.75 inches. I have a 19 inch moped wheel with the same tire I can measure The exact width of tire mounted in the AM. If you can get the measurements of the fork from someone as I don't have a set anymore. The sunlight deluxe springers are another option and I think they are wider.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
It handled great, Better when I upgraded the springs to the larger ones they started selling. I think the monark style forks are the best bet for motorized bicycles

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Considering the short head tube length of the frame, it might work better to cut down the Monark springs & have the fork tube threaded down futher to keep the geometry of the fork the same.

Also, drum brakes are tricky to install on a Monark fork because when the springs are compessed, the fork dropouts rotate a little. Securing the drum brakes arm to the forks arm will keep the dropouts from rotating properly when the springs are compressed. :(

A disc brake is the best way to go with a Monark fork. :)