Hoglet V-twin engine

GoldenMotor.com

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Do you know there are twin port heads available for some of the Chinese CG copies? http://farm8.static.flickr.com/7169/6549371691_1887852e80.jpg Probably makes the engine slower, rather than faster, but are you bothered?

Tuning the engines isn't easy, I don't know of anyone who makes go faster bits for them. Do NOT open out the inlet tract, it is already sized to flow fuel and air for a 200 (same valve sizes as the old XR200).

Will yours have a balancer shaft as well? The crankcases are two very different shapes at the front.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Oh, one of THEM! All the way up to 4 valve and fancy cams, and all derived from a Honda 50 engine. Oil has a very short life in them, it's only fair to warn you. An oil cooler is a really good idea, not just a poser's accessory, as well as breathers on the crankcase and cylinder head. Blow by down the side of the piston can really pressurise the cases.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
You ever see those old war films where an enemy battleship's been sighted, and they have to make lots of smoke to hide behind? It can get really bad with a pitbike.

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
not from what i have seen with these engines they are honda clones and great quality compared to the stuff we put up with i love my 2 smoker but i would love it more if i could have more than 60% confidence in it

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
They're ok in standard tune, but if you work on them and then use them hard they do get sweaty. I do recommend frequent oil changes though.

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
after the breaking in its getting full synthetic and im going to be crazy about the oil and everything on this bike its what i have wanted from the start but didnt know it or what i was looking for out of it

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Remember to clean the sludge out of the centrifugal filter every oil change, it can get so compacted it actually looks like metal, but will dig out with a sharp object (you are allowed sharp objects, I hope, I'm not?).

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
The Howell on eBay ended at $836 plus shipping. Not too bad when considering the cost of having the parts machined for you. If you are a craftsman and expert machinist then the cost is time and materials so that would be a questionable value at that price. I'm a CAD guy. I can model this stuff but I can't make it. If it can be fabricated with flat stock and a Dremel tool I'm in! This opportunity was ill timed for me so it's back to my PC and the packet of prints from Howell that I am reworking. Maybe next year. Maybe the year after that. Unless of coarse there were a machist on the forum and few other interested members that could pool resources and get the cost down. Perhaps a small run of investment cast cases for example if we had a large enough build? I'm going to keep working on the files to design what I want. If we can coordinate something that'd be dandy.

Jul 23, 2012
East Palestine, Ohio, USA
Investment cast cases? Definitely not the cheap way into that. I have done a fair amount of foundry and machine work. The cheap way into it is to build a pattern from wood, plastic, metal, or a combination. Then take it to a foundry to have them rammed up in sand. Investment makes some beautiful pieces but they are pricey if ya need more than one.

Mike

brnot

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
All I can say is wow! Serious fab skills, which I totally do not have. I am a CAD guy and I can design and to a limited extent I can build brackets and the like with flat stock, a Dremel tool and a drill press. Investment castings aren't all that expensive compared to having parts machined from solid. If I wanted to tool it for small scale production then that could be pretty costly. I'm still looking at options and may or may not go down the v-twin path but it will need to look good and be robust. Machined or machined casting, either way it's not going to happen in the next couple of weeks anyway. I have plenty of time to figure this out.

There are some amazingly creative and bright people around. Thanks for the link.

kingdreday

Jan 6, 2014
San Jose Ca
I would really like to work with you on the hog let project I'm going to talk with a couple of builders and see what they can do if your interested.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Kingdreday,

Welcome to the forum.

The last post on this thread is over a year old. If you want to contact a person just click on their name and when the menu comes up click on the private message and contact them directly.

Steve.