Grubee Skyhawk - No Start - Help!

GoldenMotor.com

thejdoe

Apr 29, 2011
AR
I unscrewed the brass tip. Then I put the "boot" on. The boot seemed to have snapped onto the spark plug. It doesn't need to be screwed/twisted on does it?

retromike3

Jan 9, 2009
Beaverton OR
OK I would take out the spark plug and put the wire on it and place it on the head of the motor or some place with a ground. Then lift up the rear wheel and let the clutch out and give the crank a kick with your foot. You should get a few strong sparks out of the plug. My bike had a defective CDI and although I did have a spark it was not strong enough to kick the motor over. I first replaced the spark plug wire with a new one from a auto parts store, but I could not get it to kick over, So I replaced ithe CDI with one I had laying around. After that it took right off.

I did get a NGK spark plug and set it up with a 26 spark gap.

I have had problems with this particular Skyhawk 66 (bad carb, bad CDI, bad chain) but maybe it was built on a Wednesday.

it seems to run OK now with the CDI and carb and intake manifold from my old zoom cycle But it still stalls unexpectedly on occasions.

mike

retromike3

Jan 9, 2009
Beaverton OR
the pedal should be above the center of the bottom bracket or better yet on a repair stand so you can turn over the motor. if the spark plug is out there is not a lot of resistance. In a half a turn of the crank you should get quite a few sparks out of the engine.(maybe four)

mike

thejdoe

Apr 29, 2011
AR
Got it to start! Glorious day... However, it only idles. If I give it gas, it fizzles out on me. I've read that users have some issues with air leaks? Anyone have advice?? Seems like I've read about air leaks around where the carb attaches. If this is the case, anyone know what to do?

Again, I have no clue what the cause is, so any suggestions are appreciated!

retromike3

Jan 9, 2009
Beaverton OR
Doesn't sound like its a air leak. If you had a air leak it would over rev when you put the clutch in. you might think about leaning your carb by moving the adjustment clip up a notch or two. The thing I did was replace my new carb with my an older version of the NT that came on another engine. I also used the older manifold that was made out of cast aluminum(much nicer finish). My gas milage doubled and the bogging I was getting at mid throttle disappeared.

You might look at getting a different carburetor, But before that look at this sight to see how to lean up the mixture of gas/air.

mike

thejdoe

Apr 29, 2011
AR
Yes, I'm reviving this thread. I am still having the same old problem as I was 4 months ago. I lost motivation to figure out the problem, but now I'm back.

Here is my issue: I pedal down the street, release the clutch, engine starts. Then I give it gas, the engine revs a little, but then it just dies out.

To me, it sounds just like a weed eater if the choke isn't adjusted properly. I've tried adjust the choke, to no avail. I've tried tightening the cable that connects to the throttle, but that doesn't help. I don't know what the problem is. I've applied sealant as described a couple posts above here.

Someone please help. This is extremely annoying. I bought this engine kit 6 months ago, and I have never gotten it to work. I probably should have called gasbike.net and complained, but I didn't. Now I assume it's too late for them to help me.

Pat Ryan

May 10, 2013
Hollywood, FL
I have some mechanical aptitude with small engines and intalled the 80cc bike kit and I'm getting spark, but the thing refuses to start. I got it running for about 3 seconds last week but since then it won't start. It's acting like it's fuel starved. I can't figure out what is wrong with the carb. If it's working right or not. Either way it won't even pop if I spray some starter fluide in the spark plug hole and put it back in. I know I've got spark and yet it still won't even pop! I've done everything I can think of and can't get this thing to go. Anyone got any advice? I though about getting a carb for a dirt bike like the CR 80 and installing it but I don't know if that'd work on this engine.

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
if it came with the CNS carb, you should search here for tips on that

I've seen so many folks struggle with those carbs that I don't bother with them.

Sintari23

Jul 30, 2013
San Jose, Ca
I have some mechanical aptitude with small engines and intalled the 80cc bike kit and I'm getting spark, but the thing refuses to start. I got it running for about 3 seconds last week but since then it won't start. It's acting like it's fuel starved. I can't figure out what is wrong with the carb. If it's working right or not. Either way it won't even pop if I spray some starter fluide in the spark plug hole and put it back in. I know I've got spark and yet it still won't even pop! I've done everything I can think of and can't get this thing to go. Anyone got any advice? I though about getting a carb for a dirt bike like the CR 80 and installing it but I don't know if that'd work on this engine.
I ran into the same problem with my 80cc motor. Matter of fact from time to time I still do. I have found that checking the gap on the spark plug is the main issue for me. When it doesn't want to pop at all I end up pulling off the spark plug and making sure the gap (for mine) is .30 That seems to be the only way it will run for me. Took me 2 days to figure it out and alot of panting and sweating considering I am stubborn and dont give up usually lol Especially with a 2 stroke. I have been working on small 2 stroke motors for a long time (have a goped and a 70 Suzuki ts250. Gotta love them 2 smokers.Hopefully my post helps. I hate it when something doesn't work out the way it should. Best of luck. .wee.