Vintage treaure hunt... woohoo!

GoldenMotor.com

beentryin

Apr 24, 2010
goshen,ohio
Cam,
Next time I'm in town I'll take a look at the orphan pile and see if there's anything like the red one. I'm going to just have the Cherokee and on the rear rack will have the 50 Schwinn Motorbike and on top two projects for the winter, a 34 Elgin step through and a 51 Schwinn cantilever framed Hornet. Inside will be tools, belongings, parts and Aaniimoosh The Wonder Dog. Not much room, but if there are any of the bikes for you I can strap them up top.
Dan,
Good to hear from you. I've been wondering how your four stroke Worksman News Boy is coming along. Did you manage to get the EZM in there? Gonna be a cool ride. Hope to see you when I get back to Maryland.
Steve,
I'm looking forward to your build, seeing what you do with it. You mentioned in an email today the possibility of a tricycle. I'm trying to visualize the world's only Monark Silver King Super Deluxe 4 stroke gas powered three wheeler... awesome! We are going to want pictures, lots of pictures. Wait til Scot sees what his throw away bike looks like by next summer...
i did some creative staring at that Hiawatha today and the sweep of the down tube is not real low as on the old step through Schwinns and Elgins, so a four stroke in that frame is out. Even a 2 stroke is pushing it. I may just let it sit under cover until the day I find a bare men's frame and use this one as a donor. On the 51 Schwinn I removed the banana seat and in it's place is the cool seat from the very first photo in this thread. Looks good on there. I will rebuild the springer front fork and will work on the bike this winter preparing it for a motor next summer. I set the peanut tank on there an it looks OK, but I think it is time for me to try making a copper in frame tank this winter. It will be a neat bike, so I'm happy with the treasure hunt, just for that alone.
SB
mannnnnn i love that seat ive been looking for a hairpin seat forever.great find

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Dan,
It sounds like you're making good progress on your Worksman. I'm impressed you managed to squeeze the HS motor in there. I'll be interested to see pictures when you have them of the modifications you've had to make to the frame. I had a heck of a time getting just a HT motor to fit. It will all be worth the effort and you're going to love that four stroke... smooth as silk.
Cam,
I went to Scot's today to pick up a bike box for Steve's Monark and I looked through all the remaining bikes. Nothing that would interest you. There were a couple kids bikes but not like that red one which went to Scot's brother. But in my wanderings I will keep you in mind.
beentryin,
Is that what that's called, a "hairpin seat"? It looks a lot like the seat on my 50 Schwinn Motorbike which was stock. This one being bare is hard for me to see if they're the same, but I'm guessing they are. I took three old seats apart today and put them all under the wire wheel and then painted them black, ready for upholstering when I get to it. One is a Troxel from the 34 Elgin step through, another is also a girl's seat from a 51 Schwinn, and the one we both like is from...? I know the one like it on my Motorbike is super comfortable. I took it apart and gave it nice foam padding and covered it in elk hide. A+ seat.
SB

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Steve,
I think the trike is a wonderful idea. I have your Monark all taken apart and will now be on the lookout for a suitable box. By the end of the week I should have been able to find either a bike box or make one from an appliance box or something. Will pack it up carefully and try to have it shipped next week. I'll be following your trike conversion closely since I anticipate doing one sometime in the future, probably with that 42 Schwinn step through I got when you were here this summer. By the time you're done I'll know how to go about it.
Allen,
I think of you sometimes when I'm riding, knowing you are not as you heal up from the accident. Your mishap was a reminder to me of how quickly things can go wrong. I, too, always wear a helmet. Last week I came close to having a bad one... had been riding along on the new Motorbike build thinking about other things and in a kind of blissful state... riding along in sunshine admiring the art show of leaf change at peak and had looked in the mirror a minute before... my turn around spot was coming up on the left and I failed to check the mirror again at that moment, turned and there were two cars right behind me. They braked and I could have been killed if one had chosen to pass me at that point. For a little bit there I questioned whether I should be riding one of these. Maybe I'm too old and starting to go senile or something. A lapse in attention like that could be my last lapse. It was a sobering moment. I didn't signal either. Just turned. I can't believe it. Anyway, I'm still here but must be more attentive or I won't be. I know your accident was the faultof someone else. This would have been entirely of my own making. I hope you're mending well. Are you up and around now, mobile somewhat? Wishing you well, Allen.
SB
maybe we should do some trading I have a passthrough Monark if you are going to make a trike. My rear fender is more raparound then yours would it be older? And I am looking for a front fender to match my rear.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Curtisfox, Allen, not sure what you mean wrap around but if it's the side to side coverage of the tire as far as I know the post war deluxe and super deluxe were the only models to have more tire coverage than the others. Just measured mine and it is 63/4 inches from side to side.
Do you have a photo? If you are needing a front fender from a deluxe/super deluxe I have one that needs the dents knocked out. Nothing terrible. The only thing is it will be short a fender brace since the one Silverbear is sending me needs it. It's free and I'll run it through the sand blaster to clean it up.
Let me know and I'll mail it . Just PM me your address.

I want to make a trike out of a mans bike just to be different.

Hope you are healing well.

Steve.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I will go up to the lake and take a picture and send you it. I have a pollbarn there to store my goodies. I have a Monark mans frame with the springer fork that I will be using the fender for,and the back fender for. It must just be the pictures but mine seem deeper the SB's. Soon as I get the pictures I will pm you and will take the fender that will be Aewsome.......Curt

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
none of those are "hairpin" saddles. they're just "spring seats" or "sprung saddles" (same thing.)

the rarest and most desirable are the "long spring saddles" which is the same as all the ones you took apart, except the springs are twice as long in the back.

a "hairpin" saddle, looks like this:

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
...Allen,
I think of you sometimes when I'm riding, knowing you are not as you heal up from the accident. Your mishap was a reminder to me of how quickly things can go wrong. I, too, always wear a helmet. Last week I came close to having a bad one... had been riding along on the new Motorbike build thinking about other things and in a kind of blissful state... riding along in sunshine admiring the art show of leaf change at peak and had looked in the mirror a minute before... my turn around spot was coming up on the left and I failed to check the mirror again at that moment, turned and there were two cars right behind me. They braked and I could have been killed if one had chosen to pass me at that point. For a little bit there I questioned whether I should be riding one of these. Maybe I'm too old and starting to go senile or something. A lapse in attention like that could be my last lapse. It was a sobering moment. I didn't signal either. Just turned. I can't believe it. Anyway, I'm still here but must be more attentive or I won't be. I know your accident was the faultof someone else. This would have been entirely of my own making. I hope you're mending well. Are you up and around now, mobile somewhat? Wishing you well, Allen.
SB
Thank you much for thinking about me, and asking. Well, not too much to tell: I'm not rid of the crutches yet. But I am back at work now. I told the doc that my work is mostly a desk job and my van has automatic transmission. He agreed, he let me go back to work. But he's going to keep me on these bounceless excuses for pogo sticks for another month, maybe month and a half.
But at present, I am planning for the future: my Higgins build. Look up "The Bat Tank". I would greatly value your input on that. And thanks again SB.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Thank you much for thinking about me, and asking. Well, not too much to tell: I'm not rid of the crutches yet. But I am back at work now. I told the doc that my work is mostly a desk job and my van has automatic transmission. He agreed, he let me go back to work. But he's going to keep me on these bounceless excuses for pogo sticks for another month, maybe month and a half.
But at present, I am planning for the future: my Higgins build. Look up "The Bat Tank". I would greatly value your input on that. And thanks again SB.
I am with SB. I have a old 86 rusted pickup and wet to the local recycling center for a different tail gate come home with a hole different box for $50 got it all back together and realy proud untill I crosed a intersection and got broad sided. I am sure I looked both ways I don't know were he come from but was my falt. I realy thank the good loard I wasn't on my bike. It is not like t used to be there is more trafic now then ever. They put a bypass through our town about 4 years ago. But the trafic is more now then before. GOT TO LOOK BOTH WAYS LIKE MOM USED TO SAY. THEN DO IT AGAIN.....Curt

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Curt, second that look both ways. Looked both ways but not twice and walked out on a quiet side street and was hit by two cars. One going each way. Took a 20 ft flight as well.
Survived a "no way it was possible to survive accident even with a motorcycle helmet on". That was in the police report and mentioned to my parents.
Walked out of the hospital 6 days later.

That was 1965 but every year I pay it back a little more.

Steve.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Curt, second that look both ways. Looked both ways but not twice and walked out on a quiet side street and was hit by two cars. One going each way. Took a 20 ft flight as well.
Survived a "no way it was possible to survive accident even with a motorcycle helmet on". That was in the police report and mentioned to my parents.
Walked out of the hospital 6 days later.

That was 1965 but every year I pay it back a little more.

Steve.
All the looking in the world didn't help me back in August. When a distracted driver makes a last minute, improper left turn - well, it's best just not to be there when he does. I learned myself that it's sometimes not enough to keep your eyes open. Sometimes you have to know your city, where there are good places to ride, and where there are dangerous places to ride. Downtown Indy has grown more dangerous right now. Lots of construction in preparation for Superbowl 2012. And the Kentucky St. & South intersection was a bottleneck to begin with. I chose my route poorly. I played a part in finding my own accident.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Allen, wondered what happened. Did they stop for what that is worth?

Yes, I think it hurts more when you are the author of your own accident like I was. At least you have the minor satisfaction of pointing out that someone else did you in because of thier dimwittedness.
There now, doesn't that make you feel better? LOL

Great that you are healing up and back to work and we're are not reading about the late Allen Wrench who was killed in a tragic motorized bicycle accident.

Hope you heal quickly and well. All the best.

Steve.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
You know when I was 16 I used to ride my Monark twin all over this town. Today I would not even think of it. With all them ideits, cell stuck to the ears putting on makeup,reading,and all the other things.
Allen Wrench sorry to here about your accident glad you are going to heal well, A little wieser and all.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Allen, wondered what happened. Did they stop for what that is worth?

Yes, I think it hurts more when you are the author of your own accident like I was. At least you have the minor satisfaction of pointing out that someone else did you in because of thier dimwittedness.
There now, doesn't that make you feel better? LOL

Great that you are healing up and back to work and we're are not reading about the late Allen Wrench who was killed in a tragic motorized bicycle accident.

Hope you heal quickly and well. All the best.

Steve.
I think I can explain briefly: The light was green. I was going straight. He was on the other side, oncoming lane, slowing down (in order to stop I thought). Then suddenly - right as I was in the intersection - he turned. I probably hit him as hard as he hit me. He stopped (or he'd have run me over). He was at least honorable enough to stick around and give all relevant information to the cops.
Good news is I'm healing rather well. I SHOULD be up and walking around Christmas (can't think of a better gift, meself). And, call me crazy, but I still intend to be riding again. But not in downtown for a while. Working for the Law and the Courts, I hear things. Lotsa motorcyclists getting hit right now in this town, many of them getting killed. Don't really know why, but something'll hit the fan soon. Thanks for the concern.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I was stuck sitting for twenty minutes today for some highway construction job that temporarily shut things down and backed up the traffic for some distance. I was directly behind three motorcycles and found myself studying the light set up for turn signals and rear brake all in one basic unit... and also looking at the saddle bags. Each bike had one on each side of the rear wheel, roomy with a leather flap to close them up. And then the light bulb in me BB brain lit up with the realization that I could make them and now could see in my mind how to go about it. In my treasure hunt of a week ago I brought home two bikes mostly for the rear baskets they had... same arrangement of a basket on each side of the rear wheel just like those Harleys. So when I got home I took a closer look at how they attach and can see that it will work nicely making them out of the heavy harness leather and using the baskets for the frame work inside. So these will be stiff and each about the size of a paper grocery bag. I will probably use leather straps and buckles for closure of the flap or lid. I had rear baskets once of the folding type. These do not fold and attach at the bottom to the rear axle and above clip to the fender, quite secure. I'm going to try the prototype (love the sound of that as opposed to "first one") on that 51 Schwinn cantilever bike also from the treasure hunt. I have dismantled that bike and am just about done stripping it to bare metal. In a few days it will have a new paint job in Duplicolor Wimbleton White, a kind of cream color. I have a set of chrome fenders and the seat is now stripped, repainted black and ready for padding and leather. Free bike frame and free seat from another bike and now free saddlebag frames, all from the same treasure hunt. I have a spring and struts ordered for that springer suspension, too. This will be a budget build with a Greyhound engine to be purchased later in the month and everything put together this winter. I can hardly wait to see it with saddlebags. How cool is that? Another flash of light just went off... I could do the other set in birch bark with split spruce root to stitch them up. Lots cheaper than the harness leather and way different. Glad I brought those baskets home!
SB

Attachments