crank gear issues

GoldenMotor.com

redneck82

May 25, 2014
concord, nh
the gear on the crankshaft keeps shredding...
does this have to do with the cluch being loose? if so, what tool do i use for the flower nut?
any tips?:-||

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You'll need to be more specific. What do yoyu mean by "the gear on the crankshaft keeps shredding" ?

Are you lubricating the gears?
There is no tool for the flower nut except for a screwdriver to remove the locking screw.
Improper clutch adjustment won't cause gear failure. Something else is wrong if you are seeing failure of the primary gear. Either a bent crankshaft or improper mesh between the primary and secondary gears.

I've had bad primary gears that were drilled off center and not concentric with the gear teeth. They wobbled. They were noisy and would have probably failed eventually if I had not replaced them

Tom

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I have also seen bent cranks causing a wobble and wear in a new china engine.
Check how the gear looks when it turns. If it seems off center, you need to do more than just throw new gears at it.

redneck82

May 25, 2014
concord, nh
meaning that all the tabs on the main gear are totally grinding to nothing... and its not off center grind which would point to a bent shaft... its uniformly ground where the large gear makes contact...

what would cause improper mesh? its gone through 2 gears so far...

Last edited: