Pocket Bike Expansion Chamber on 60CC engine

GoldenMotor.com

xtk

Jul 14, 2009
California
I'm not too keen about exhaust systems but from what Iv been reading around here on previous threads that pocket bike exhausts can be adapted to the bicycle engines.

The pipe i'm looking for is rated for 48 and 49cc, but the impression i'm getting is that it's still acceptable to use. So I was wondering if any one has ordered an expansion chamber of that rating or knows that it may or may not work.

Thanks

p.s. Id post the link but this is my first post.

EDIT: I bought this Mini Pocket Bike Parts Exhaust Pipe Muffler Cag Mta-1:eBay Motors (item 290296177175 end time Aug-12-09 11:18:16 PDT)

Work is done on my ride. I had to cut the pipe, grind an angle on it and weld that sucker back on so it would fit properly. The header on this pipe is roughly 12" I was able to get my bike up to 32 mph on flat land.... Not even 15 minutes of riding I ended up burning my own leg.... So far its red but Ill find out later in the morning if it blisters.

Anyways that was a great investment for my bike, it really gave it a major boost. I also got a velocity stack and an UFO style air filter from Davesmotorsports. It really increased the power in the bike.

Last edited:

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
I weld

Before spookytooth or sick bike parts sold a solution to the need for a bolt on tuned pipe.

I bought this
47cc Pocket bike Performance Pipe.
when it was on sale .

Now sick bike parts offers a bolt on solution.
Sick Bike Parts

The scooters for less works on happytime as well my latest ride a gp 460 with cvt, and freewheel .
If you do not want to weld nasty twisty tight bends just get the sick bike parts exhaust.

Emerica

Feb 1, 2008
Best upgrade I've done, sbp black chamber.
While the thing ships do the following:

Check over your bike, and then try to tune the carb and any kind of air leaks you might have. Get it running the best it possibly can with the stock pipe. If you go the sbp route and don't have someone to weld a header for you, get some permatex muffler tape, it's an epoxy resin tape. Use that instead of the 3 smaller rubber? covers they supply. They die pretty quickly from heat and crack up. (less than a week) That seals up the header pretty well just by going for a long ride.

Sound is a big change, much more of a dirtbike sound.
Performance is a mix of many factors. The pipe can help tune low end or high end depending on the length of the header and other dimensions of the pipe, so most people will change the header length to where they want it.
Out of the box and on the bike stock install i gained about 9km/h (40km/h to 49) on my top end, with a better/smoother feeling overall, and better pull up hills.
I think i'm a little more jumpy on the really low end.
Don't spend money on boost bottles, nos , and all that other stuff, get a decent pipe.

Someone's going to ask about the sound, I'm pretty sure mines a little louder than stock, but doesn't sound as bad if that makes any sense. You could attach a muffler from a lawn mower shop, basically what sbp sells as an addon. It's not as loud as pulling the cap off the stock pipe. 20% or so louder than stock maybe imo.

http://pxn.ca/images/chamber.jpg
Have fun

xtk

Jul 14, 2009
California
Last edited:

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
Anything more to add other than "Work is done on my ride"?
Like pics or something about how it works or how you got it on, maybe even what pipe you did get. I mean, anything is better than "Work is done on my ride" and "Bought and attached, read my first post!".

xtk

Jul 14, 2009
California
Anything more to add other than "Work is done on my ride"?
Like pics or something about how it works or how you got it on, maybe even what pipe you did get. I mean, anything is better than "Work is done on my ride" and "Bought and attached, read my first post!".

Funny, I thought you were just trying to be mean, but I just realized my picture didn't show up.

Emerica

Feb 1, 2008
I'm gonna say probly not, without some cutting in the least, you want about 12 inches of header between the engine and the expansion chamber. Then tune to where you want it from there. That pipe looks like the chabmer is right at the front.

xtk

Jul 14, 2009
California
I'm gonna say probly not, without some cutting in the least, you want about 12 inches of header between the engine and the expansion chamber. Then tune to where you want it from there. That pipe looks like the chabmer is right at the front.
Emerica is right, without proper header length on the expansion chamber its going to probobly cause a degrade in performance. The one I got was perfect in header length, but it requires cutting and welding to propertly fit.... unless they are manufactured differently.

x1x2

Aug 4, 2009
uk gloucestershire
Ok thanks for advice do you know of a pipe that would require no work whatsoever (if so minimal) that would have a noticeable increase in performance? if not, is there any other mods that i could do to my 48cc bike that would enhance performance ?

xtk

Jul 14, 2009
California
Ok thanks for advice do you know of a pipe that would require no work whatsoever (if so minimal) that would have a noticeable increase in performance? if not, is there any other mods that i could do to my 48cc bike that would enhance performance ?
If your looking for an easy bolt on solution with minimal adjustments.... Then id say get SBP kit or Kings kit. If you want to have fun id suggest getting one off ebay and working with it. Either way your going to have to tune and adjust accordingly anyways

x1x2

Aug 4, 2009
uk gloucestershire
thanks for the reply, would the sbp kit add noticeable performance if so where? is it just on top speed? Also sorry for me not understanding but what is the kings kit?

augusta01

Jul 10, 2009
Melbourne
I made a head gasket from the aluminium foil off the top of a 500 gram Nescafe tin. Improved compression and made motor much smoother

augusta01

Jul 10, 2009
Melbourne
Have you ported the bike and a bigger carby.
I'VE FITTED A 20mm Mikuni carb on a short inlet, cut bottom of piston to match inlet (no overlap of bottom piston to inlet port skirt at TDC). Shaved top of piston to match ports at BDC. 80cc motor, 36 tooth rear sproket. Still use original exhaust system
Can cruise at 50k's, flys up hills, top speed at least 65k's
Use ordinary engine oil for fuel mix 25:1 works fine

Dsquared

Jul 3, 2009
Pawtucket RI
sbp is the best hands down/ you don't have to mess w/trying to fit it-the header can be adjusted for top/low end and the silencer isn't 2 feet long. if you want a kickstand in the back of the bike, depending on the frame, a pocket bike pipe silener will get in the way