florida stinks!!

GoldenMotor.com

vballspen

Jul 8, 2009
florida
i went to the dmv and they told me i could not register a bicycle its not a moped. i asked what there description of a moped is and they brought up the stature. no more than 49cc and has pedals. their interpretation was that it had to be built at the factory like that. so i went to a police office and they told me that i have to just fallow bicycle laws (keep on road lights at night all that kind of good stuff) he also told me that i could not get a ticket for anything as long as i fallow the biking rules.

Last edited:

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
Re: florida sucks!!!

They suck for telling you you don't have to spend any money on license or registration? I don't understand.

vballspen

Jul 8, 2009
florida

but it just seams like that is what one chief and one dmv said. i just know the cops in my area will give you a ticket for anything. i just know i am going to get hassled and have nothing to stop them. maybe i should get the police chief to right that down and sign it?

dvddtz

Feb 15, 2009
Gulf Breeze, FL

I would go back to the DMV and have them give you a copy of the proper statute,and then carry it with you just in case.They cant give you a ticket and if they do, go to court with the copy of the statute.Oh and make sure the DMV puts the copy on paper with thier letterhead.

Motoschwinn

Jun 27, 2008
Independence MO

Here in Independence Mo., The Police just want to know where they can get the motor kit... When they aren't talking on their cellphones.

vballspen

Jul 8, 2009
florida

yea thats not a bad idea. i know most cops are pretty cool about it it seams but i dont want to take my chances with that one jerk of a cop. thanks guys for the replies

skyliner

May 17, 2009
jensen

hey strong words im a florida native and currently ive in jensen beach fl and ive been riding my bike for 3 years and been pulled over four times and all the cops wanted to see was my bike and they all thought it was awsome my buddy is a florida state trooper and i sold him a bike a year ago and he rides it all the time if you go to myflorida.com you can look up the laws and it plainly states that if you follow the bike laws you are in the clear so if you ask me florida is pretty f'in cool you need a license to ride a scooter and those are boring so i wonder does florida really suck anyone else agree with me here

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Florida doesn't actually stink, but it does have an odd smell; a mixture of salt, sand, sulphur decaying vegetation and sawgrass...to me, it smells like home. Born and raised in south Florida. I checked with my brother, a former state trooper and Marian County deputy and he says the same thing Skyliner said. "Ride sensibly and obey all bike laws and you're in the clear. Ride careful and enjoy...and stop looking over your shoulder for 'The Man' :)
Tom

vballspen

Jul 8, 2009
florida
alright that is a much better outlook than what i had thought. i took it as i was screwed either way they could get me but i am starting to see it your way thanks guys florida dosnt stink.

the willi

Apr 21, 2009
west covina,ca
laffdance1dnut.bf.so if you dont have pay anything just keep quiet until some person trys to get some money for the state!!!!!!! here on the west coast it is a different story so keep on riding and have some fun ok

vballspen

Jul 8, 2009
florida
out for a ride today cruised by two cops without a hitch. so heck with it florida rocks!!!! thanks for the input guys

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
The statute is on the net- FL DMV. but takes some finding- No I think Florida is good- I asked a scooter shop owner inj Jacksonville who had a motorized bike in his window, and he said he didn't think I'd be bothered- in short test rides I wasn't, and saw a few bikes pass my apartment this Spring. When I move there permanently- I'm putting saddlebag baskets on and hoping I can save miles on my car.

skyliner

May 17, 2009
jensen
so we all have the same verdict now florida rocks warm, hot chicks, the beach, motorized bikes are legal and they start selling beer at 7 am what more could you ask for

captainrichhill

May 31, 2008
Hey John Grisham I live in South Jax Beach. I have a red and white Schwin Point Beach. If you see me go by stop me I'd like to talk bikes with you. I got a buddy of mine hooked on MBs. I've only heard of two other people at the beaches w/ MBs.
My bike is almost all stock. Upgraded airfilter, 36 tooth sprocket. That's it.

Rich