THE GREAT RACE! New York City/Brooklyn

GoldenMotor.com

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
A proposed motor bicycle endurance race-
The course-
Starting at Bay Parkway and Shore Parkway (Runs along side the Belt parkway) the length of the Verrzano Narrows water front promenade, under the bridge to the 69th street pier, then back along the same route to the Start/Finish/timing traps.
A rider MUST pass through the timing traps for a lap to count.
The winner will have the best time and distance over 6 hours.(time/laps)

The rules-
All motor bicycles welcome, gas and electric, up to 66cc/500watts, any
configuration -IE- rear mount , frame mount, recumbent or trike.

Winning gas bikes must to submit to removing the engines cylinder head so bore and stroke can be measured, any modifications are allowed accept boring and stroking.
Expansion pipes, nitrous oxide kits, bigger carbs, shift kits are all legal.

Winning electro bikes are only allowed the stock battery packs, only one battery pack allowed unless dual packs were stock equipment.

Electro bike riders may change battery packs twice.

All entries must have working pedals and cranks.

All gas bike riders must carry all spares and extra fuel.

No chase cars allowed, any non emergency repairs must be made before the tech. inspectors at the Start/Finish line parking area.

The Prize-
This is a winner takes all event.
There will be no 2nd or 3rd place.
The prize will be taken from the entry fees less 20% of the over all pot for licencing, permit and administration costs.

Entry Fees-
$150.00 due at sign in, no exceptions.
The books are open so no irregularity's or corruption will be possible. Any registered competitor can examine the books at any time and see for him or her self that the prize is there.
Size of the prize will depend on the number of entries.
If 10 riders enter the prize will be $1200.00
($1500.00 minus the 20% administration costs)
So the more riders that enter, the greater the prize.
Any one is welcome..wee.

Got the Stones?
Tune em up boys...
Contact me here if your intrested.

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
Rohmell, I wish.
It seems that speed and performance have become dirty words in this little hobby of ours.
In the year or so since I posted that thread, I've gotten maybe 6 or so interested riders... not enough to make the paper work worth the time.
Also... in that year or so our hobby has evolved quite a bit, just look at the new Li Po battery's,1000 watt electro hub motors, 50cc 4 stroke shift kits.
I recently posted a thread (in the other forum) about this guy that was selling a book with instructions and plans for building a "50 mph electric bike" All I wanted to know was if any one had any experience with this book or its writer and if it was worth it.
Man... the the punks crawled out of the woodwork, all screaming and whining about how I should "keep it real" and if i wanted to go THAT fast i should just go buy a electric motorcycle (sure, for $10,000 to 15,000 dollars, not the $1200 or so the bicycle should cost) and my attitude was "ruining" our hobby.
Until certain members of our hobby grow a spine, my dream of this race/rally will remain just that.
I'm still down and willing to do it, all we need is 12 or so riders willing to sign up.
I think it would be a nice day long event for us and our family's.
Please, by all means... if you can generate intrest id be glad to be involved.
KEEP EM RUNNING!
BBB

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Cuzbikebklyn1,

Sorry to hear about your experiences with that other forum.

It's a shame how people can come out of the woodwork with their comments and it all ends up leaving a bad taste in your mouth.

On another note, regarding the rules for the race, why the need to check the bore & stroke? Riders are going to have all different kinds of engines, 2 stroke, 4 stoke, electric 33cc, 49cc, 66cc, whatever, different sprockets and gearing, etc, so it might as well be different bores and strokes as well.

I could understand it if the race required everyone to be on equal footing with identical engines, bikes, etc., and you wanted to weed out the cheaters.

Also maybe lack of interest is due to the bore & stroke inspection. On some engines it is a PITA to take the engine apart with its shrouds and brackets and remove the carby and muffler, make the measurements and then put it all back together with new gaskets in time for the race.

Just some thoughts.

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
I saw an electric motor bike the other day at Rusty Spokes bicycles here in San Diego that will do 60 mph. Has Briggs and Straton 14 horse electric racing motor...he said it will do 0-60 in a couple seconds. He built another one with the same motor and a propeller...saw that one too but he said he hasn't ridden it yet.

About your race. Sounds exciting but I"m betting 99% of the people who ride these bikes don't have the cash to throw down for an entry fee.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
About your race. Sounds exciting but I"m betting 99% of the people who ride these bikes don't have the cash to throw down for an entry fee.
In today's economy, that is a sad fact.

When I'm riding around on my GEBE people are all excited and interested in it, but when they ask how much for the kit and I tell them, you should see the crestfallen disappointment in their faces.

More and more, I'm riding around on my BMP friction drive, but still, around $100 for the kit and $100 for a cheap 2 stroke engine, people still shy away.
I am building a few motorized bicycle kits for some neighborhood kids, and always search eBay and Craigslist for some cheap 2 stroke engines, clean them up and get them running, and hopefully by this spring, I will be able to offer some engines to these kids at a good price, and help them get to riding.

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
Well Cuz, the thinking behind the tear down was to be fair.
This way like bikes are competing against each other.
A 350 watt,24 volt, delivery bike doesn't have to compete against a 500 watt 48 volt AB2.
Or a 48cc"china" 2 stroke stock kit wouldn't have to run against a punched up Morini 50 cc with EXP pipe and a shift kit.
If pulling the cylinder head and one gasket or submitting to a electrical out put test is to much trouble to collect a price you've ALREADY WON in that class... then this idea isn't for them.
But heres a better reason
As you probably know, my proposed route along the narrows promenade between Bay Parkway and the 69th street pier is some of the best riding terrain we have for a road bike.
the "pit area" is gigantic (near the tennis courts at Bay parkway) and would make for a great "family" tail gate thing.
Its not just the race, its promoting our sport in a good light. A wholesome father and son activity, a way to get your better half involved...there are many reasons.
Heck... I'd take my entire bike apart and put it back together 100 times to make this work.

Ok... now this next part is definitely IN THE SPIRIT OF OPEN CLEAN FRIENDLY COMPETITION!
(so don't whine)
$150 bucks to possibly win 10 times that? or more?
I don't know about you, but I have faith in my riding abilities, and faith in the bikes I build.
I like those odds.
Consider the gauntlet thrown...
I'll put my metal on the line against any like bike of the same motor size and displacement, against any rider in my weight class (Clydesdale) lol.
THIS SUPPOSED TO BE FUN!
I hope you will consider entering, even better, get your riding buddies to enter as well.
We are stronger together that apart.
Keep em shiny side up, and watch out for cars!
BBB.
.flg.