Bored and stroked?

GoldenMotor.com

sudjim

Jun 8, 2008
Gainesville, FL
Hi all,

In the aircooled world of VW's, there are many ways to increase HP. Larger valves, high lift cam, bigger carbs. But after you do all that, the best way to increase HP is to put bigger jugs in and put in a stroker crank.

I pulled apart my first 2 stroke motor that had about 2000 miles on it. The cylinder doesn't look like too much could be bored, but could a stroker crank, maybe with a shorter rod be made? Has anyone looked into larger pistons? I'll bet many on the group would buy an upgrade kit if it had a larger piston and matching cylinder. 80cc, 90cc?

Jim

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
If you have the machinery to make the parts you could do a stroker engine I've looked into a boring bar machine and they are not cheap. If I had the tools made a guy should be able to bore a cylinder with a lathe but I don't have the tools made. Jim at creative engineering probably does or could set it up to do it.
Norman

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Oh man! Jim When do we get to play with your new motor. Can't wait I thinking 90cc well tuned commercial grade bore?

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
That air cover does indeed look nice! That is giving me a idea one that has been bugging me a nice cover for the air cleaner I always thought it looked like skull I even painted the teeth on one but not as detailed as that one. COOL!
Norman

sudjim

Jun 8, 2008
Gainesville, FL
Thanks for the compliments. I had the idea, but I am not that talented, so a guy at my work did it for me. He is the artist.

Regarding the bore or stroke kits, we already have an aftermarket growing. Larger tanks, smaller sprockets, clutch kits, multi gear kits, expansion pipes... Hopefully someone will take the challenge and invest some time into tooling up. More power to the entrepreneurs! I for one would buy a kit. I would love to fabricate, but can only afford the time to tinker.

Jim